Thread:
[Guide] Thunderbolt root

Founding Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[Guide] Thunderbolt root

Updated Aug 27,2011 Although this guide still works, It is not needed as there is a much more user friendly auto-root tool found at the revolutionary link below. If you prefer a more hands on method, and like to learn the process, feel free to follow this guide.
    http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.p...-Recovery-tool
    Updated 8-10-11-Changed some commands to use ADB throughout the entire guide.
    This guide has been fully tested by me, several times, always successful.
    I will do my best to keep this guide up to date, please post any questions in this thread

Try this at your own expense, Hacksden nor I take any responsibility for what happens to your phone.

Much of this guide is from this post written by jcase
    I don't accept any credit for this guide, I have just added a few notes from my own personal experiences.

I recommend syncing everything with gmail and verizons backup assistant app before you start. When your done, resync and you will have all of your contacts back.

Here are some links that might help
    Rooting for Newbs
    Flashing Roms, Kernels, and Radios
    The Official XDA Roms and Kernals listing
    A Dummies Guide to Android Terminology & Lingo

This guide will provide S-OFF, remove signature checks, and unlock eMMC. Enjoy!

If, at any point, you need to un-root, like sending your phone in for a warranty replacement or such, you can achieve this by following this link. I can confirm its authenticity as I have unrooted more times than I can count.

Pros
    Root with read/write access to /system
    Ability to downgrade and flash any RUU (i.e. signed firmware)
    S-OFF
    Fully unlocked bootloader
    All ThunderBolts survived testing

Cons
    Voids warranty
    Could brick your phone if you arenít careful

The method of rooting your Android device as described in the article herein is solely for enthusiasts and not for the faint of heart.

IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.

Android Police and Team AndIRC disclaim all liability for any harm that may befall your device, including, but not limited to: bricked phones, voided manufacturer warranties, exploding batteries, etc.

The instructions below assume you already have a strong familiarity with adb command lines Ė this is not for beginners.

Credits
    Scotty2, jamezelle, jcase, and all of Team AndIRC
    dsb9938 for the tutorial cleanup
    Testers, especially ProTekk and Trident
    Thanks to scotty2 for WPThis
    Busybox was pulled from a CyanogenMod ROM, source should be available here
    psneuter was pulled from somewhere, credit to scotty2, source here
    All firmware credit goes to 911sniper
    Jaroslav from Android Police for editorial help
    If I missed anyone in the credits, it was unintentional and I will fix it soon. Lots of people had their hands in on this project.

*** Please read the instructions in full before you attempt the process or head to IRC to ask questions. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged before taking the plunge. ***

Step 1
    First, download these files:
    Android SDK Installer

Downgrade RUU PG05IMG_downgrade.zip ( (md5sum : aae974054fc3aed275ba3596480ccd5b) THIS IS THE DOWNGRADE RUU USED IN STEP 4:
    Multiupload mirror

Mirrors for the package (contains busybox, wpthis, psneuter, su, readme.txt, misc.img, and hbooteng.nb0) (md5sum : 3b359efd76aac456ba7fb0d6972de3af) THIS IS THE EXPLOITS FILE:
    Multiupload mirror
    DroidSite mirror

Custom upgrade PG05IMG_MR1_upgrade.zip (md5sum : 7960c7977c25b2c8759605be264843ea)
    multiupload
    Alternate upgrade pre-rooted-TBolt-MR2-RUU-PG05IMG.zip
    (md5sum : 92376b0d0141dbc46621e7e5c796a2c2)
    The MR1 upgrade RUU still works but since the recent OTA, you will be asked to take the update, which you DO NOT want to do.
    The alternate RUU is pre-rooted, and you will not get update reminders until the next OTA.
    You will use whichever you want in step 7.
    For more info on the alternate RUU, look here.

Run the ADB installer, this will setup adb, java and HTC sync for your device, install to "C:\"
    For installation instructions, go here
    Optional
    When installation is done move all of the contents of "c:\sdk\platform-tools" to "c:\sdk\tools"
    This makes it easier to run the tools, as it is much less typing to change directory in command prompt.
    The rest of this guide will refer to this location, so if you choose another directory, change your commands accordingly

After each flash you will be prompted to follow the HTC tutorial
    ***Feel free to skip HTC boot tutorial until fully rooted, you can run the app "Setup" when your done***

Step 2
    ***NOTE***There are 2 ways to move files from your computer to your sd card.
    (1)Use ADB to push (copy) files to your card, (This requires you to set your phone to charge only when plugged in to your computer).
    (2)Drag and drop files using windows explorer, (This requires you to be in disk mode when plugged in to your computer).

To set this goto menu softkey>settings>connect to pc> and choose your default connection type.

I recommend and prefer using ADB as you can also reboot your phone through the commands.
    ADB is used to do other things as well, (eg. change permissions in /data/system), although this can be done using the "Android Terminal Emulator" found in the market, it is much easier to not be switching back and forth between phone and computer, so I will only refer to using ADB throughout this guide.

Make sure phone has debugging enabled, (you should check this setting after every reboot, I have found it unchecked sometimes).
    Goto Settings>applications>development and check "USB Debugging."

Phone should be in Charge only mode throughout this tutorial.
    On your phone goto settings>connect to pc>default connection type and set to "Charge only."

Note: If this is your first time connecting your phone to your pc you might have to check "media sync" to install the drivers for the sd card, then swith to drive mode.
    Plug you phone into your pc.
    Open command prompt, change directory to "c:\sdk\tools"
    Code:
    cd c:\sdk\tools
    Now make sure ADB recognizes your device.
    RUN:
    Code:
    adb devices
    You should now see your device recognized.
    Attachment 211

Next, we will push misc.img, busybox, and psnueter and give full permissions to psneuter and busybox using the following commands:

Code:
    adb push psneuter /data/local/
    adb push busybox /data/local/
    adb push misc.img /data/local/
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
    Step 3

This step will gain temp root and flash the custom misc.img. Run:

Code:
    adb shell
    Now the shell should display "$", and you are now operating from within your phone's shell.
    Run:

Code:
    /data/local/psneuter
    You will now be kicked out of adb, and adb will restart as root.

Letís confirm the md5 of misc.img:

Code:
    adb shell
    At this point, the shell should display "#".

Now run:

Code:
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img
    Output should be "c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de." If itís anything else, re-download the file and try again.

Now letís write misc.img:

Code:
    dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
    exit
    Step 4
    **TIP** I recommend making a copy of this file to the c:\sdk\tools directory, then rename the copy to PG05IMG.zip. This way you can easily tell the difference between multiple PG05IMG.zip files (ex. PG05IMG_downgrade.zip and PG05IMG_MR1_upgrade.zip)
    Here you will push the PG05IMG_downgrade.zip (now renamed to PG05IMG.zip) to your SD card by running the following command:
    Code:
    adb push PG05IMG.zip /sdcard/
    Now check the MD5sum:
    Code:
    adb shell
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip
    Make sure it matches aae974054fc3aed275ba3596480ccd5b, otherwise delete and redownload, and redo Step 4.
    Code:
    exit
    Now we will reboot the bootloader to install the PG05IMG.zip
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Choose the bootloader option and press power;(it will start in about 5 seconds) let the ROM flash. When asked to upgrade, choose yes. Donít freak, itís a long reboot.
    Once done, unplug from pc, reboot, plug into pc, and open adb again to delete PG05IMG.zip from your SD card with the following command:
    Code:
    adb pull /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip PG05IMG.zip
    It will be placed in your current directory, and now you will want to delete it to avoid confusion, (remember, you should have the original still if you followed my tip earlier).

Set up the two part exploit, to gain root and unlock MMC.

Push and set permissions for wpthis, busybox, and psnueter:

Code:
    adb push psneuter /data/local/
    adb push busybox /data/local/
    adb push wpthis /data/local/
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/wpthis
    Gain root (this will once again throw you out of adb):

Code:
    adb shell
    /data/local/psneuter
    Unlock MMC:

Code:
    adb shell
    /data/local/wpthis
    exit
    Step 6

Please pay attention Ė this is very important. This step involves a small chance of bricking if you mess up.

To push the eng bootloader and verify MD5sums:

Code:
    adb push hbooteng.nb0 /data/local/
    adb shell
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/hbooteng.nb0
    If the output does not match "6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb" exactly, stop, delete it, and re-download it. Otherwise, continue.

Now we will write the new bootloader.

Code:
    dd if=/data/local/hbooteng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    To verify we have a functional bootloader we will confirm proper write:

Code:
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    If the output does not match "6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb," try again; if it still doesnít work, seek help from chat.andirc.net in channel #root or go here AndIRC Thunderbolt Web Chat DO NOT REBOOT.

If MD5sum matches exactly, reboot your phone by holding down the power button and choosing restart.

Step 7

Now, put the custom MR1 RUU, or the alternate MR2 RUU (PG05IMG_MR1_upgrade.zip)by copying, then changing the name to PG05IMG.zip as in Step 4.
    Run:
    Code:
    adb push PG05IMG.zip /sdcard/
    Then to verify the MD5sum run:
    Code:
    adb shell
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip
    Check the md5sum and make sure it matches 7960c7977c25b2c8759605be264843ea, if it does not, redownload it, and redo Step 7.
    Code:
    exit
    Next, run this command to flash the image:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Choose the bootloader option and press power; let the ROM flash. When asked to upgrade, choose yes. Donít freak, itís a long reboot.
    Once done, reboot and delete PG05IMG.zip from your SD card.
    Code:
    adb pull /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip PG05IMG.zip
    It will be placed in your current directory, and now you will want to delete it to avoid confusion, (remember, you should have the original still if you followed my tip earlier).

After it flashes, you will be running release firmware with S-OFF.

Reboot your phone.

Congratulations

You should now have full root permissions, an engineering kernel and recovery.

Step 8
    Back up your ROM

Install ROM Manager from the market.

Once installed, open ROM Manager and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
    Confirm your device, ROM Manager will then seek Superuser Permissions and flash the recovery
    **If you receive an error when seeking Superuser Permissions, then you have not successfully rooted your phone**

Once ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) is installed, it is time to make a Nandroid Backup. In simple terms, this creates a restore point on your phone. It takes a snapshot of your entire system and backs it up so that you can restore to this point. To do this open Rom Manager again, in the list of options, you will see the option ďBackup Current Rom.Ē Choose this option. Name the backup whatever you wish, and select ok. If prompted for SuperUser permission, answer yes. At this point you phone will reboot. Donít panic, this is normal. You will see the white HTC screen and then the screen will go black with some with writing. Do not interrupt the process, when it is complete you phone will reboot.

This will make a "Nandroid" of your ROM and place it in /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup
    You can recover back to your current state at any time by selecting "Manage and Restore Backups" in ROM Manager

I also suggest you install Titanium Backup from the market
    Titanium Backup allows you to backup all of your apps to /mnt/sdcard/TitaniumBackup
    Do this before you flash ROMs/Radio/Kernel and restore selected apps afterwards

After you are rooted look here

Try this at your own expense, Hacksden nor I take any responsibility for what happens to your phone.

Useful apps
    Root Explorer
    SetCPU
    Android Terminal Emulator
    Root Checker
    Last edited by stmcmurray; 08-27-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added link for unroot

Founding Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Faq

Q: Will this wipe my data?
    A: Yes, it will, but as long as tou sync with gmail and verizon backup assistant prior to root, you should be able to resync your contacts and most of your user settings.

Q: Can I accept OTA updates (Over-The-Air)
    A: You can, but you will most certainly lose root privileges.

Q: Where can I find custom ROMs?
    A: You can use ROM manager from the market, or simply look here.

Q: Can I use any ROM on my Thunderbolt?
    A: No, only ROMs specifically made for the Thunderbolt.

Q: What is the difference between a ROM and a Kernel?
    A: A kernel is the core of the Android OS and governs a lot of the lowest level functions including CPU usage. A ROM is a complete software image including the OS, the kernel, and any pre-installed system applications and themes. Many different kernels will work with many different ROMs, but the two must be compatible. You can flash a kernel independant of the ROM.
    Last edited by stmcmurray; 07-17-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Founding Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Updated post #1 to use adb throughout entire guide. 8-10-11.
    Last edited by stmcmurray; 08-16-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Founding Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Update post #1 with alternate RUU to block unwanted update reminders.