Thread:
How to use SetCPU

Founding Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[Guide] How to use SetCPU

This is just my pesonal advice on SetCPU
    Available on the android market.

Try this at your own expense, Hacksden nor I take any responsibility for what happens to your phone.

Description

SetCPU is a tool for changing the CPU settings (capable of overclock and underclock) on a rooted Motorola Droid, Nexus One, G1, G2, Samsung Galaxy S, myTouch 4G, Motorola Xoom, or one of many other devices to improve performance or save battery.
    SetCPU also allows you to set up powerful profiles to change the CPU speed under certain conditions, such as when the phone is asleep or charging, when the battery level drops below a certain point, when the phone's temperature is too high, or during certain times of day.

SetCPU's wide feature set make it useful to beginners and enthusiasts alike. Accelerate your processor to unleash your phone's multitasking potential, or dial your CPU's speed down to save battery.
    SetCPU also includes a "voltage control" menu, for use with certain devices with custom kernels that support it, to control undervolting to save even more battery. Keep in mind that undervolting is only available for certain kernels.
    Have an HTC Sense device with a stock ROM or kernel? If you are having trouble getting your settings to "stick," press Menu > Disable Perflock. You still have to be rooted.

Galaxy S devices: conservative scaling is recommended where it is used by default (ondemand on the Nexus S and Galaxy S II). There are issues with Galaxy S kernels that may result in crashes if some other scaling governors are used, or if the sleep profile "max" value is set too low.
    More flexible profile options and revamped interface coming soon!

Changelog:

2.2.4 - Improved support for the new MSM 8x60 devices (such as the HTC EVO 3D and Sensation).

2.2.3 - Fixed an issue where the voltage menu displayed frequencies backwards on certain devices capable of voltage control. Added support for additional CPU temperature sensors.

2.2.1 - Fixed the voltage force close bug on some Galaxy S devices by adding undervolt support for older Galaxy S undervolt kernel patches. Added perflock disabler support for HTC kernel 2.6.35.9 (beta).

2.2.0 - Added an "In Call" profile. Improved the Set on Boot safemode function by including a flashable zip that toggles SetCPU's safemode. Press menu on the main tab for more details. Added autodetect support for all Tegra 2 fakeShmoo kernels (ie. G2x). Added a "Voltage" tab for undervolting the CPU on fakeShmoo kernels, some custom Galaxy S kernels, and some Nexus S kernels. This is a full-fledged interface for undervolting these devices, and includes backing up and restoring and a Set on Boot checkbox. Improved the way SetCPU initially requests root. Various miscellaneous bugfixes.
    Although it is very tempting to overclock, I do not recommend it especially when charging, as charging will increase battery temps anyways.
    When overclocking I have experienced battery temps of 104F, 40C while charging. Although these temps might not seem high, I am taking it easy for the time being, and am already satisfied with the stock clock speed of 1024MHZ.
    I will do more research on these temps, but for now this is my limit.
    Those temps are about 10 degrees F higher than stock while charging.
    I have to admit though, at these speeds my Thunderbolt was lightning quick (no pun intended), but the temp scared me.
    I have heard of phones becoming useless at 106 degrees F.

The most notable thing about SetCPU, in my opinion, is the ability to underclock, thus saving battery life.
    SetCPU allows you to set up profiles that will adjust clockspeed. Example: Underclocking to 368MHZ while your screen is off.
    This will save your battery dramatically from the stock Thunderbolt speed of 1024MHZ.

To do this, download SetCPU from the market. It is not free.

Once installed, open it and note what the max and min are reading, these are the stock cpu speeds, then go to the profiles tab.
    You can set these to whatever you like.
    My HTC Thunderbolt is set up as follows, and I experience battery power lasting close to 16hrs with heavy use.

Temp>40.2 degrees C - 368 max 245 min - priority 100 - scaling "conservative"
    Battery<25% - 768 max 245 min - priority 95 - scaling "powersave"
    Battery<50% - 1024 max 245 min - priority 90 - scaling "conservative"
    In Call - 1024 max 245 min - priority 80 - scaling "interactive"
    12:00am-6:00am - 368 max 245 min - priority 70 - scaling "powersave"
    Screen Off - 368 max 245 min - priority 60 - scaling "conservative"
    Charging - 1024 max 245 min - priority 40 - scaling "performance"

When my phone doesn't fit one of these profiles (Ex. after full charge, on battery), I actually overclock to 1113MHZ, its not much, I know, but it does what I need.

With these profile settings, my phone is responsive when I need it to be, and relaxing when I'm not using it.
    Notice how my max clock speeds never exceed the stock 1024MHZ.
    In my opinion, the phone (HTC Thunderbolt) is fast enough, so there is no need to overclock.
    [Notice] That profile has changed That was my first set up, as you can see now, I do overclock after a full charge when the phone does not fit a profile, and if I want more than 1113MHZ, then I just raise it manually (if I am not charging).

My work schedule is M-F, 7am-5pm. So my phone charges at night while I sleep, and is ready when I need it for work. By about 4pm (depending on how much overclocking I've done that day), it is at about 50%, which is when I set my profiles to start scaling down my clockspeed.

This method makes sure I have power when I need it, yet uses little power when I don't.

Your experiences may very, so feel free to customize to your liking, but be sure to watch that battery temp, especially while charging as this increases battery temps anyways.
    These profiles depend on your schedule and when you charge your phone. Adjust them accordingly.

Source

Try this at your own expense, Hacksden nor I take any responsibility for what happens to your phone.
    Last edited by stmcmurray; 07-31-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Changed battery<50% scaling from ondemand to conservative

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stmcmurray For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I use this on my G2x (LG P999) wonderful lil tool!

Refresh for more Sigs