Awesome Fan Control Tool For Mac

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Awesome Fan Control Tool For Mac

smcFanControl

Control the fans of every Intel Mac to make it run cooler.

smcFanControl lets the user set the minimum speed of the build in fans. So you can increase your minimum fan speed to make your Intel Mac run cooler. However in order not to damage your machines smcFanControl doesn't let you set a minimum speed to a value below Apple's defaults.
    Works on all Intel Mac's, 10.4 and above (even Lion). and Leaves a nice little meter in the bar at the top

Screenshot of the Meter I'm talking about

Even useful for those who don't want to make their fan act as the default factory setting as it just works as a neat meter, or allows "Power Users" to raise their fan. I leave mines at the default (minimum 1800 RPM).

Download

HacksDen Staff
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I heard these kinds of programs can really mess up a laptop so I never tried them. I take it this one's got the hedgehog seal of approval? And can I reduce the maximums with it? I get tired of this thing going on hyperdrive at random intervals just because it's summer.

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithian View Post
    I heard these kinds of programs can really mess up a laptop so I never tried them. I take it this one's got the hedgehog seal of approval? And can I reduce the maximums with it? I get tired of this thing going on hyperdrive at random intervals just because it's summer.
    It can't reduce maximums, other wise, might cause internal damage so they didn't add that feature. I haven't tried bumping up my fan speed much but I know someone who has with the same Mac as me. Default speed for my Mac is 1800 RPM, I have "Profiles" that raise it to 2100 RPM and 2400 RPM but I'd go no further, my friend has it on 3000 RPM minimum for a while now. I leave it on default because in an hour time, it's above it anyway. For example, right now, I just took that screenshot a few minutes ago, and my Mac has been pretty much on for the last 8 hours (with maybe one 5 minute shutdown in between) but I'm watching videos and it generally rises when I'm doing that but would usually be slightly lower anyway. Point, kind of pointless to raise up the minimum RPM unless you want to go to 3000RPM or more (like my friend), for me, I just use it as a monitoring tool.