Thread:
Making an xbox 360 wireless transceiver for your pc!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Making an xbox 360 wireless transceiver for your pc!

First guide so go easy on me.... (By the way i know this isn't FOR xbox but you need xbox parts to do it with)

So, who likes to play games with there xbox controller *raises hand*, who likes playing games on there computer with an xbox controller *raises hand*. Well I'll show you how to make a free (minus the cost of some diodes) adapter/dongle with your old RROD/E74 xbox 360 RF board.

Parts

WARNING!!!! you NEED 2x1n4001 diodes (VERY IMPORTANT If you do not use these 2 you WILL burn out your USB module in your computer and the RF board, reason being is that the RF board runs on a 3.3v and the USB outputs at a 5v.

After you have these three things lets get started!

Step 1. Get an old usb cable that you don't use anymore and cut the end that doesn't plug into computer off. Strip the 4 little wires covering off.

Step 2. Now to find what wires go where, most usb cables have these 4 colored wires which are Red,White,Green and Black. The Red is the 5V power supply, the White and Green are data, and Black is for the ground. If yours does not have these colored wires, i still have the pin-out of the RF board, so don't worry!

I will not show how to take apart an xbox 360, there's a million guides out there for it and im not re-inventing the wheel here.

Step 2.5 My example picture will look different ONLY because i did not have the germanium diode in there, the reason for that being is i didn't want to go out an buy one so i have a substitute piece of hardware to take its place.

Step 3. Get your RF board ready and solder the wires onto it like so (completed picture with where wires go down below)

VERY IMPORTANT REMEMBER YOUR DIODES

Attachment 233

Yours should look something like this (in addition to an extra diode because as i stated earlier i did not use a germanium diode, again for the reasons listed above.) Attachment 238

Congratulation you now have a dongle for xbox 360 wireless controllers! Now for the software side:

Step 4. We are actually going to be using Microsoft's driver for their commercial dongle that sells for 40 bucks a pop. Grab it Here and install it.

This is where we start following pictures! (Done on windows 7, dont have xp or vista to show sorry! But dongle will still work on all 3 operating systems.)

Step 5. Go to this folder (unless you told it to install elsewhere)Attachment 234

Step 6. Now open the Xusb21.inf in notepad and find the four headers toward the bottom labeled [MSFT.NTx86.6.0], [MSFT.NTamd64.6.0], [MSFT.NTx86], and [MSFT.NTamd64].
    Picture: Attachment 232
    The thing under all those headers need to be replaced with this

Replace

Step 7. Now plug in that RF board you just made, and windows will tell you it has no idea what you just plugged in, and it wants a driver. So when it says do you want to point to driver say yes, and navigate back to that Xusb21.inf file and tell it to install it with that. But if you don't know how to do that follow the pictures below!

Step by Step for windows 7

Step 8. This part is unnecessary if the xbox 360 controller was already synced to the RF board you're using. But if it has not been synced to it, get out your plug in and charge usb adapter and plug it into the computer and it will sync if for you. Also remember, if you sync your controller to another xbox, your RF board in your computer will forget about it! So if you have no other way of syncing back to computer, don't un-sync!

Questions and Answers:

Q: My RF board isn't being detected at all by my pc i.e. not saying found new hardware.
    A:Make sure that you put your diodes on the correct way, people's biggest mistake is putting a diode on backward, not allowing any electricity to flow at all.

Q: My RF board is running just fine with the 2x1N4001 diodes, why did you say I need a germanium diode?
    A: Because 3.6v is on the verge of the board not being able to operate, my board kept killing out every couple minutes, so if it doesn't on you that's great, just don't go saying you don't need it.

Q: I have seen people with a similar hack, except they could sync there controllers, why can't this one?
    A: Because that requires about 5-7 more solder points and some other boards you have to buy else where, this is just a nice quick way to do it, plus buying the plug in and play cord is probably the same price as the board.

Done! Nice job and if anything is confusing just post and I will help you best I can.
    Last edited by nightstah; 09-07-2011 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Final spelling corrections/formatting

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jonathanb9595 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can I gets a picture of the finished product as I would like to see how it turned out.

Founding Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    jonathanb9595, would u mind to denote the 5V, Gnd, D+ and D- lines on the picture ? Coz not all usb cables are of the same color combination thru the world.
    thz.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to billyhamm For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Billyhamm, sure ill throw one up, Favs, that pic is the finished product i guess i could get a zoomed out one if ya want, but it doesn't look much diffrent

EDIT: does that look better billyhamm? i should have done that in the first place thanks for pointing that out
    Last edited by jonathanb9595; 09-06-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: picture
    Consoles: Super Famicon, N64, PS1, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, N3DS, Wii U.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb9595 View Post
    Billyhamm, sure ill throw one up, Favs, that pic is the finished product i guess i could get a zoomed out one if ya want, but it doesn't look much diffrent

EDIT: does that look better billyhamm? i should have done that in the first place thanks for pointing that out
    ....oh and on closer inspection I can now make out the USB dongle thingy attached to the underside of it.

Founding Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    jonathanb9595, ur edited pic is a bit better. however, i would suggest to add a close up of the solder pads (of the x360 RF board) before soldering the wires/diodes; and draw the lines on it. this will definitely help a 'non-technical' follower to copy ur brilliant job. right ? thz.

found something similiar (below), but couldn't get the detail .....
    Last edited by billyhamm; 09-07-2011 at 05:28 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to billyhamm For This Useful Post: