+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 842 Posts

[Guide] Play Gamecube backups on your Wii

backup, backup launcher, cleanrip, cmios, copied gamecube games, copy gamecube games, gamecube, gamecube backup launcher, gamecube games on wii, gcbl, imgburn, mios, multigame, iso, neo gamma, neogamma, stomp 442, wii, wiipower, play gamecube games, dvd, iso, rip, burn, burned disc, burned games, multi game iso, nintendo, wii U, 3ds, gameboy, gba

This tutorial will guide you in
    1. installing a cMIOS to your Wii
    2. playing gamecube backups/copies with NeoGamma
    3. ripping/copying gamecube games with CleanRip
    4. burning gamecube games to disc with IMGburn
    5. creating a multigame ISO gamecube disc

This guide is for a soft modded Wii, if your Wii is not soft modded then get it soft modded - Softmod Guide

Do not follow this guide if -
    1. Your Wii is hard modded and you want to retain playing retail and backup Gamecube games from the disc channel.
    2. Your Wii is not capable of playing backup games from disc. Easy test: In the latest NeoGamma, remove disc from the drive and select launch game from disc. You will get a read error. If it doesn't say anything about your drive, then it should capable of playing backups.

----------------------------------------------------

Download

I have compiled a package of Game Cube apps that you will need for this process.
    In this package is -

1. cMIOSWiiGator - used to install the cMIOS - Download
    2. NUSD - used to download the MIOS Download
    3. NeoGamma R9 beta56 - Used to boot Wii and Gamecube games Download
    4. NeoGamma forwarder - DFNG - Forwarder to boot Neogamma from the Wii menu Download
    5. MultiGameISO Creator 3.5.4F+ - creates a multi ISO Gamecube disc Download
    6. IMGburn - to burn your Wii and GC backups Download, Website
    7. Wiped GCM Fixer 1.5F - used to patch shrunken ISO's for a multiISO game disc [631]wiped_gcm_fixer_v1.5f.rar
    8. GC-Tool - a type of WiiScrubber for GC images (not used in this guide) GC-Tool.rar

I had a nice download package of the above items, but somebody didn't like me hosting that stuff on mediafire, now you gotta

I recommend using a 2GB Sandisc SD card.

other downloads

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Install the cMIOS
    If you used the HacksDen guide to softmod any wii, or used ModMii, then you already have the correct cMIOS installed, no need to reinstall it.
    1. Installing this cMIOS will overwrite any MIOS/cMIOS you have already installed.
    2. Neogamma Internal mode currently does not support Waninkoko's cMIOS, install this cMIOS.
    3. First you need to download the MIOS with NUS Downloader. Download MIOSv10, dont forget to check the box that says "pack wad". If you don't know how to use NUS Downloader the look here - guide coming soon
    4. Place the RVL-mios-v10.wad on the root of the SD card (do not place in the wad folder)
    5. Unzip the cMIOSWiiGator archive, copy the cMIOSWiiGator folder to the apps folder of your SD card. Run this in the homebrew channel, don't for get to use IOS249 to do the installing. Select YES for both of the settings before installing. I can confirm the SD card and Download from NUSD methods of installing. USB install is possible but I did not test that, so I cannot confirm if it works, so don't ask about it. If you get usb install working then good, if you can't then use the SD card to do it.

cMIOSv10 vs. cMIOSv4

---------------------------------------------------------------------

NeoGamma

NeoGamma's different GC modes

Installation
    1. Unzip the NeoGamma archive to the root of your SD card. You may discard the "source" folder, unless that kind of stuff interests you. You now have Neogamma installed to the SD card. Do not change the names of any of the folders.
    2. Unzip the NeoGamma forwarder - DFNG archive and copy the NeoGamma Loader - DFNG.wad to the wad folder of your SD card. Use WadManager to install this wad. You will now have a NeoGamma forwarder that boots Neogamma from the SD card. IOS35 is needed to run the forwarder, if it don't work then install IOS35.

Usage (applies to GameCube games)
    1. Select options, then select General Options.
    2. Set the Save Config to YES, then select Return to Menu
    3. Select GC Options, Set the GC Mode to Internal
    4. Set the Force Video to Disc. Unless it's an out of region disc, the select your preference. If you are using component cables then Force Video to disc may not work, use what ever seting works.
    5. Return to the Main Menu of NeoGamma and Launch Game.
    6. If your games fails to launch, you may have to play around with the GC settings, also check the compatibility list, link posted below.
    7. leave the GC mode set to internal, try adjusting the rebooter first, then try the High plugin or debug. If you have color issues then change the Patch Video.

List of achieved improvements for GC loading with NeoGamma:

IGN top 25 Gamecube games

Best Selling GC Games

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Compatibility List
    links to GBAtemp

Softmodded Wii's using a backup launcher

Gamecube Backup Launcher Compatibility List - WikiTemp

Hardmodded Wii's
    GCOS Gamecube Compatibility List - WikiTemp

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ripping Retail Gamecube Discs

You will need HBC 1.0.8 and IOS58 (v6176) installed - Download CleanRip

CleanRip will rip Wii/GC games to a FAT/NTFS storage device (SD or USB). I recommend a FAT32 USB memory stick larger in size than the ISO you are ripping. The author of CleanRip says there may be a chance to corrupt existing data on the storage device. Just install CleanRip on your SD card and run from HBC, follow the on screen prompts, simple and easy. When the process is complete you should have a 1.35 GB gamecube ISO on your storage device, ready to burn to disc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Burning GameCube Backup Discs

I have included an app that lets you create GC multiISO discs. It is pretty
    straight forward and easy to use. It will let you create a GC disc with
    multiple games on it. You can leave the images as is or shrink them to get
    more games on a disc. Be warned, not all games work correctly from
    a multiISO game disc. Multigame ISO Creator 4.0 is not compatible with
    Neogamma, use the version from the download list above.

If creating a MultiISO image with shrunken ISO's
    1. first shrink the images (ISO's)
    2. use "fstfix t" on all shrunken images (Wiped GCM Fixer 1.5F also callled Fstfix 1.5F)
    3. now create the multiISO image (ISO)

A more detailed guide for shrunken ISO's

Use IMGburn to burn GameCube backup discs, IMGburn may very well be the
    best image/ISO burning software available. Tayio Yuden or Verbatim (with the Azo dye) are
    recommended, DVD +R or DVD -R can be used. If you use any other brand then
    stick with the DVD -R. If you have a crappy DVD burner (factory installed burner)
    then stick with DVD -R. When burning DVD +R then set book type to DVD ROM.
    Do not use Verbatim Lifeseries line of media, it is junk.

- Install IMGburn
    - right click on the image (ISO/gcm) file to be burned.
    - select "burn using IMGburn"
    - select your burning speed, I recommend 4X
    - select "verify burn"
    - now burn your disc

While your disc is burning (burning a DVD is very delicate)

- make sure your screen saver or virus scanner don't start running.
    - do not multi task, such as run other programs or surf the web
    - go get a sandwhich or something while burning, just leave your mouse alone.

If your backups are not working and you failed to use the recommended blank DVD media then do not ask why your backups are not working.

Warning: It is illegal to download/distribute copyrighted video games. This guide, myself, and this site does not support or promote software piracy. Play fair.

THIS APPLICATION COMES WITH NO WARRANTY AT ALL, NEITHER EXPRESSED NOR IMPLIED.
    NO ONE BUT YOURSELF IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR WII CONSOLE BECAUSE OF A IMPROPER USAGE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks goes to
    WiiPower - for continuing work on launching GC backups and NeoGamma
    WiiGator - for mIOS patcher and GCBL 0.2
    emu_kidid - for CleanRip and Swiss
    Waninkoko - for everything he as done
    Pepxl - NeoGamma DFNG forwarder
    Patman666 - for GC MultigameISO Creator
    IMGBurn - for IMGburn

backup, backup launcher, cleanrip, cmios, copied gamecube games, copy gamecube games, gamecube, gamecube backup launcher, gamecube games on wii, gcbl, imgburn, mios, multigame, iso, neo gamma, neogamma, stomp 442, wii, wiipower, play gamecube games, dvd, iso, rip, burn, burned disc, burned games, multi game iso
    Last edited by stomp_442; 07-07-2014 at 11:58 PM. Reason: updated neogamma, updated download source

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stomp_442 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for posting this guide, stomp!! I have used this a few times (on older wii's I've modded) and had 100% success. Awesome guide. Again, thanks!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to namyarb3 For This Useful Post:

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Just contributing this since this was a question that's been asked on several occassions. There are some games which use two discs; Disc 1 and Disc 2. Midway through the story, you may have to swap to Disc 2. People are wondering how does that work and if there's an issue with it for those games like Tales of Symphonia and Metal Gears Solid: Twin Snake. I've been testing this out (not really, I just played Tales of Symphonia to try to beat it in less than 40 hours of gameplay, damn, 42 hours, lol)

1. Create a Multi-Game ISO that has both Disc 1 and Disc 2 of the game using the provided tool. Don't shrink the game (not sure, I just haven't tested this so don't bother shrink it).

2. Burn the image onto a DVD.

3. Launch your game using Neogamma R9 Beta 49 or later.

4. Play your game and enjoy, eventually you may get prompted to switch to disc 2.

5. Simply, eject the disc in the dvd drive and re-insert the same one. It'll begin checking the disc then continue.

Tested: Tales of Symphonia Disc 1 & 2 on a MultiGame ISO - Neogamma R9 Beta 49 - cIOS249 d2x v4 - using both cMIOS v10 and v4

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShadowSonic2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 708 Posts
    I've just set this up and it appears to have worked but Do you require a gamecube controller to play them or will a classic wii controller work? as the wii remote has lost sync and i cannot do anything apart from hard reset the wii.

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yup. Definitely need a gamecube controller. When mIOS is loaded, Wii Mote's no longer work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowSonic2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 708 Posts
    Cheers, thought that was the issue just wanted to make sure.

Thanks
    To those who don't have an SD card available (like me).. use this installer instead: link removed (wrong installer)

cMIOSWiiGator won't let you install from USBdrive but with the one i linked you can download the cMIOS v10 from internet right on your wii. It works great!

News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alefri View Post
    To those who don't have an SD card available (like me).. use this installer instead:

cMIOSWiiGator won't let you install from USBdrive but with the one i linked you can download the cMIOS v10 from internet right on your wii. It works great!
    Sorry, but that installs the Waninkoko cMIOS, if you read my first post, WiiPower claims the Waninkoko cMIOS rev5 will not be fully compatible with NeoGamma. The cMIOS installer that is provided was altered by WiiPower, so it will work best with NeoGamma.

Thanks
    soo..If I have a WODE installed, and I follow this guide..will I no longer be able to use my disc drive?

News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't know much about a WODE. I do know that a WODE will play Gamecube backups without softmodding your Wii, just put the games on your hdd with your Wii games and see what happens. I also know that some hardmods do not play well with softmods, as for a WODE, I do not know.

If you follow Mauifrogs guide to softmod any Wii, then you will have the proper cMIOS installed. That guide installs the same cMIOS that this guide has you install. The cMIOS will allow you to play GC games via softmods. If your WODE gives you an error when trying to boot GC backups with the cMIOS, then you must decide, play GC backups from WODE or from softmods, the choice is yours. If you do not like the cMIOS and it has a adverse effect on your WODE, then you can reinstall the original MIOS, back to the way it was before the softmod. The cMIOS should not affect your WODE's ability to load Wii backup games.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 11-13-2011 at 12:32 AM.