Thread:
[Tutorial] The Ultimate Emulation Guide Part 1 - The Consoles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[Tutorial] The Ultimate Emulation Guide Part 1 - The Consoles

In this series of guides I will show you all of the emulation possibilities for the Wii. Starting with the grandfathers like the 2600 going up to fifth gen like the N64 and then some. Part one will cover consoles, part two will cover handhelds and arcade, part three will cover PC, and part four will cover anything else like ScummVM. If there are multiple emulators for a platform I will only be covering my favorite one.

Whenever possible I will be using the Linux version of the incredible emulator Dolphin for screen shots. It will be a lot neater than than taking pics of my TV. I also like the irony of an emulator running on an emulator. The only drawback is that not all homebrew will run on it. If it doesn't run on Dolphin then I will fall back on pics of the TV. I will be using a 2GB PNY SD for all demonstrations and all SD images I use with Dolphin. Please try to refrain from asking me questions about Dolphin. If there is enough interest I might make a Dolphin guide but that would be separate from this series.

I will only be covering basic SD/SDHC/USB install. I will not be covering things like channel installs or forwarders. I'm not covering all of the controls and options because that can all be found on the emulators WiiBrew page and Readme. Also I will only be covering the original versions of the emulators and no unofficial forks. As a reminder most if not all emulators can be downloaded via The Homebrew Browser.

Please do not ask me where to obtain ROMs, BIOS, or disc images or I will ignore you. Also please don't ask questions that do not pertain to the guide like how to format your SD card or once again I will ignore you. Otherwise I will support my guides to the best of my abilities.

If you want to save a little room you can either delete or move the Readme files to your PC for safe keeping after you read them. I stress the after you read them part...Read them or fail! You can also leave them if you choose to because they wont hurt anything. I'll mention which files you need and don't need with every emulator.

Part 1 of the guide will cover thirteen emulators in all:
    Chapter 1 : Enter The Grandfathers - JzintvWii, O2em, Wii2600, and WiiColEm
    Chapter 2 : Movin' On Up - FCE Ultra GX, SMSPlus, and Wii7800
    Chapter 3 : The Golden Age - Hugo-Wii, Genesis Plus GX, and SNES9x GX
    Chapter 4 : The Developers Cruel Joke - Yabause Wii, Wii64, and WiiSX.

Chapter 1 : Enter The Grandfathers

In this chapter I will cover how to install JzintvWii, O2em, Wii2600, and WiiColEm.

JzintvWii

O2em

Wii2600

WiiColEm

Chapter 2 : Movin' On Up

In this chapter I will cover how to install FCE Ultra GX, SMSPlus, and Wii7800.

FCE Ultra GX

SMSPlus

Wii7800

Chapter 3 : The Golden Age

In this chapter I will cover how to install Hugo-Wii, Genesis Plus GX, and SNES9x GX.

Hugo-Wii

Genesis Plus GX

SNES9x GX

Chapter 4 : The Developers Cruel Joke

In this chapter I will cover how to install Yabause Wii, Wii64, and WiiSX.

I need to add a big note here and let everyone know fifth gen emulation is mad buggy. Some games can be playable or even run fairly well but don't expect to enter fifth gen emulation without tons of problematic and non-working games. You just have to accept it if you want to play Saturn, PSX, or N64 on your Wii because it is what it is.

Yabause Wii

Wii64

WiiSX

Changelog

Last edited by stomp_442; 02-04-2013 at 02:12 AM.
    "Hackers solve problems and build things, and they believe in freedom and voluntary mutual help." - Eric S. Raymond

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darkcide For This Useful Post: