Thread:
Xbox 360 cooling system mod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Xbox 360 cooling system mod

Hi ppl, Now I cant take credit for this idea, but I've been using it for a while and have changed the process a little.

What we'll be doing is taking the steel inner lid from the spare top half of an xbox (or any thin sheet metal you can snip, or even cardboard if you don't want to be cutting metal) and repurpose it into some caps for the heatsinks, allowing the fans to move more air at a lower power, making your xbox cooler and quieter.

First off you'll want to make some cardboard stencils to fit the tops of your heatsinks, my heatsinks are both second generation, the measurements are 60x65 and 90x70.

Next you'll need to locate your templates onto your material, you could draw directly onto the material, but I use templates to ensure square-ness. Trace an outline around your templates using a pencil using anything fatter will just make it harder to get your designed size and shape. Leave around 10mm of material around each shape for ease of cutting.

IMG01912.jpg

Now STOP!. Before you continue your gonna need some protective handwear, you'll be cutting sheet metal. When cut it will have an edge like a razor until you sand it off. If you don't have any protective gloves you need to go and buy some, they need to be made of leather, more protection the better. If you attempt this without hand protection, your gonna have a bad time.

With your templates traced onto the material and your protective handwear donned, pick up ur snips (note these are not scissors, they are tin snips) and start cutting away the edges of your material so you have a nice straight, flat piece of meterial to work with. Keep any good bits, and carefully dispose of the rest. Don't leave it lying around. Cutting off the excess will give you practice with snips, dont ever fully close them, nibble away at the material for a nice clean cut.

Keep snipping away at your material till you have freed your nice shiny squares. STOP! Before removing your gloves, you need to sand off all the edges on the front and back of your shapes, make sure your thorough. They will cut you if you are not.

IMG01917.jpg

Locate your nice shiny metal plates with nice safe edges on top of your heat sinks. Your going to attach them with insulation tape down each side. Attaching to the GPU heatsink, on the side close to the CPU heatsink can be tricky. I attach the tape the the metal shape, then slide it between the gap and press it onto side of heatsink with something unsharp like an ice lolly stick.

Now take your plastic flowhood and use insulation tape to make a 2-3mm skirt around the bottom edge.

IMG01919.jpg

Now place your flowhood in situ, your going to want to place little squares of tape over any holes in the flowhood and your metal plates. For the hole where the DVD drive leg goes, I taped on the underside and poked a craft knife blade through so the leg can fit in snugley. With the holes taped up, your going to continue to seal the the leaks in the cooling system with insulation tape. Take a glance at how I've done it. Sealing up all the leaks means more air being drawn over your heat sinks so be thorough.

IMG01920.jpg

If you want to further reduce noise and improve air flow, and own a rotary tool such as a Dremel you can do this.

IMG01922.jpg

That was done by removing all the internals and cutting the meshing over the fans away with a reinforced slitting disc mouted in my rotary tool. Be careful cutting metal with a dremel is not easy if you aren't used to using routers and the like. Do not use anything other that a reinforced slitting disc, thats the one with the lattice pattern. Non reinforced discs will shatter and have the potential to injure you, also vented metal diamond dust coated slitting discs are not meant for cutting steel, you'll stand more chance of cutting off a finger than cutting your material.

So if you attempt to cut the metal cage: Wear goggles, wear a sprayers breathing mask, use the correct tools and mount your material in a stable position in a workbench or vice.

If your not entirely confident in this step, dont attempt it, Ive put it in as an afterthought for that reason.

I hope this can be of use to people
    Last edited by cillitBANG87; 02-26-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: tidied