Thread:
Phat ROL/RF Board LED Mod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Phat ROL/RF Board LED Mod

this is a work in progress and will be completed very soon.
    so want some shiny new LED's in you rf board. no problem

Choosing LED's

For phat rf boards you can use either 0603 SMD LED's or you can use the bigger 0805 too which are a little easier to work with. Both fit quite nicely though so its a personal choice to some degree. Something to keep in mind though is if you plan to match the controller leds those need to be 0603. 0805 will fit at a push but completely cover the pads so have to be kind of floated into place on controllers and its not very easy. I'll cover that in my controller guide though when i get to it. i generally stick to 0603 now as its just easier to order a shedload of 1 type than 2. most people tend to want a controller matching anyway.

Preparing the board

There are a couple of different mathods you can use to remove the old LED's such as flooding them with solder and just swiping them off with your iron but i prefer to use a set of wire cutters. Main reason is it actually protects the pads while your removing the LED and you don't need to clean up excess solder once the leds removed. I have removed a couple of pads through being a bit rough with the soldering iron too but never lost a single one since doing them this way. Just grip the led in the wire cutters as in the photo.

add photo

and gently twist the led and it will break off the pads leaving them intact. It usually rips the connection from the led itself and leaves it in the existing solder but just swip across after with your iron to remove them which will also flatten out the remaining solder ready for the new LED. Make sure you are gripping the lower part of the led or you will just break it in half.

For the centre power led there is just not enough room to get the wire cutter in so just flood and swipe this one off, dont worry as its much smaller and connected to only 2 pads it carries little to no risk of removing the pads. Just hold a small amount of solder on your iron tip and touch it to the led at the power button side and sweep down gently and it will come right off.

add photo

Identifying the LED's polarity

now this is crucial to get right or your going to be removing a perfectly good led as its been fitted back to front Its easy enough to get right and i have included a photo showing the different LED polarity markings you may come across. i'll mark the pad polarity later in the guide.

Fitting the new LED's

now here you need to be carefull you get the correct polarity on both the RF boards pad and the led or its just not going to work. first importand point is as you probably noticed there are 3 pads per LED nad your led only has 2 connections. thats because there are 2 positive connections either side of the stock LED and 1 negative in the centre, 1 positive for green lights and 1 for red. in the photo i have marked their layout in their relevant colours.

first put a small blob of flux on the points then i use a toothpick/cocktail stick dipped into a tiny amount of flux just so it is on the tip and then use it to pick up the led by tapping the lens of the led, you can then turn it to view its polarity mark then place it on the pads and the flux on them will hold it in place. i then rest my toothpick/cocktail stick on the lens of the led and add a tiny amount of solder to each point by having a small blob on the end of the tip of the iron.

once you have the led in place on the green light pads just create a bridge from the red light pad to the negative pad and this retains the red light function in the new colours. to do this i like to hols a pice of stripped kynar wire between the pads and add some solder to the wire like so

you can then just rock the kynar back and forth to break off the excess and you have a neat little bridge created.

you can just add solder but i find it ends up rather ugly this way. if you want to test the red light function is working simply pull the av cable from the xbox and power it and it should display 4 red lights, only not red anymore

the centre power led is slightly different having just 2 pads and no red light. if you look you will notice one of the pads has a dot marking that is the negative pad. so simply add you flux, line up your LED and fit.

and thats that its good practice on your first couple to test the leds as you fit each one but once you get a feel for it just do them all in one go. you can have all the LED's removed and the rf board would still function fine so just leave your console plugged in near where you are working and fit and test as you go.. you dont need a tv but make sure the av cable is in or out depending on what your testing.

This guide is the property of hacksden so if you want to use it elsewhere please as first and add credit and a link to the site
    Last edited by garageinc; 02-27-2012 at 08:12 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garageinc For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    nice tut.just one thing are you using only one led on them.if so that will save me some leds lol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dgenx For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    lol 5 mate but i'm waiting for a better camera for the final completed shot and a couple of others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    lol i meant one led for each one.so a second led aint needed for the error led..

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hes using 1 led, in his guide it mentions wiring the extra pad to the LED. this means error codes would use the same replacement LED rather than 2 separate ones.

Got Gav'd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeh ad is spot on, 2 leds is possible but not needed really. you will know if you get rrod on the new colours just from the bridge it still flashes 3 lights at you anything else like 3 controllers connected would be a solid 3 lights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    sorted just wanted to make sure.i wont be using so many leds now.

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Nice guide! I just now got around to checking it out. I've been busy the past week and haven't had time to spend here.

Great contribution. Thanks.
    Judge me by the content of my character and not the color of my politics.
    Feedback from my work: 1, 2, 3, 4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Krafter For This Useful Post:

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Have added to Author's Index. If any submission by the recent folks has gone unnoticed, please PM me (that's directed to ALL users here).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nightstah For This Useful Post: