Thread:
What is the right amount of topaz?????????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is the right amount of topaz?????????

Okay, this is starting to bug me! I've recently acquired to topaz plugin for photoshop, yee harr!
    Anyway, I've been applying the topaz filters to most of my tags lately, experimenting with the different
    looks and effects it can give my work, and I'm impressed with what it can do.

Now, this is the part that's bugging me. (Not having a go dj, just using you as an example)
    Quote Originally Posted by djunglist View Post
    Pob3008
    RobGee789
    Major Zero

sorry bmarlo, too much topaz
    Now that tag dj is referring to has hardly any topaz
    what so ever, unlike some others which have a lot tbh.
    Now all I've heard lately is, "You've got too much topaz"!
    What's the point in having it then? Do I use it? How much?
    When I hardly use it, I get, "Too much topaz", When I use heaps,
    I get, "good job man". I'm just bloody confused.

Someone enlighten me please!

Awesome gift from M3RK below | Awesome gifty from DTB above ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    sometimes more is less hahaha

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pob3008 For This Useful Post:

HacksDen Staff
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i use it on alot of my tags but the way i use is is some times ill ass id to a smudge layer to clean it up a bit, but the main way is right at the end and ill make a new layer then aply image the choose topaz clean and choose a segtting and take the strength all the way down so its just about smoothing things out or ill leave it at 1-2 maybe even 3 and get my eraser tool with a soft brush and flow set to between 1-4 and go over the bits that look a little over done
    Need any gfx making HERE is where to ask

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RobGee789 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate. Really, I appreciate your advice. But can you see my frustration here? It's like what's the point in having the damn thing!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bmarlo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The point is mate - do u think it makes a difference? and do u think that in a good way or bad?

All u can do is try to make something u like and take on board what other people say but do not change your style for everyone will have a different opinion.

I personally think your latest tags do look better a little more crisp than usual

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pob3008 For This Useful Post:

HacksDen Staff
    Art & Graphics Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bmarlo, believe me I feel your frustration because I got the same reactions when I first started using Topaz.

Yes, Topaz is a phenomenal tool that helps make good tags great. Yet, at the same time when used where it doesn't fit, can make great tags look like garbage. I hate to tell you this, because I always want to give people solid answers, but Topaz is ENTIRELY dependent on the tag.

What I mean by that is that, only you as an artist, and the vast experience you gain from doing what you do, and practicing your talent; can determine when is the best time to use it and how much. There is no solid, Use this here, but not here. Topaz works differently with different images. Let me give you some examples:

I'm sure you'll recognize this, it's yours lol.
    The Topaz works great here. It brings out that definitive line that all 'cartoon' type images have. It adds to that feel and that look and it enhances not only the focal but the entire piece as well.

However,

Here, you shouldn't have used it, or more rather you should have used less of it. This image of Mace is very flowing, with quite a lot of movement. These are contradictory to what Topaz does(ACTUALLY does, not what it says it does) Topaz creates lines and is more of an 'enhancer/edge detection', well in a piece like this you don't need those hard edges. It's moving, and moving things aren't static or 'hard' like the lines that Topaz works off of.

This one as well,

Another of yours, yes? This tag benefits from Topaz, but not this much. I don't know the specifics of your settings, but when Topaz is this noticeable, it distracts from the tag overall(personal opinion mixed with a few years of photography none-sense). Topaz looks best when you don't notice it first. It's just an enhancer, not a focal process. By focal process I'm talking about smudging or a drastic color change, etc. Things that you see when you glance at something.

Here, I don't say ditch the Topaz. I would say lower it by about 1/2, a 1/3 even. Use it, but kinda use it sparingly, ya know?

Or this:

Rob's more recent post, spectacular piece. Why? Because he used Topaz in a way that benefited the tag. Here, he used it to accent the lines and changes between his smudging, a thing that Topaz does quite well(talking about the bit over Optimus' shoulder to the left).

Again, no one can give you a solid 'This is how you use it' sort of answer. You could use the same render in a smudge tag with Topaz and it'll look great, but if you use it in a C4D tag with Topaz, it looks like garbage. It's all about the tag itself and whether Topaz can enhance what you've already got going.

I hope this helps you understand things a bit.

Aure

P.S - Thanks for not minding me using your images guys

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aurelius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pob3008 View Post
    The point is mate - do u think it makes a difference? and do u think that in a good way or bad?

All u can do is try to make something u like and take on board what other people say but do not change your style for everyone will have a different opinion.

I personally think your latest tags do look better a little more crisp than usual
    You know me mate, I've always taken what anyone says about my work on board, and try to improve all the time.
    But this topaz shit has irritated the crap outta me today! (Maybe because I've had a bad day at work lol)
    I've used it on five layers, and people say "good job man". I use it on one layer and people say "too much topaz".
    I guess I'm not in the right frame of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
    Bmarlo, believe me I feel your frustration because I got the same reactions when I first started using Topaz.

Yes, Topaz is a phenomenal tool that helps make good tags great. Yet, at the same time when used where it doesn't fit, can make great tags look like garbage. I hate to tell you this, because I always want to give people solid answers, but Topaz is ENTIRELY dependent on the tag.

What I mean by that is that, only you as an artist, and the vast experience you gain from doing what you do, and practicing your talent; can determine when is the best time to use it and how much. There is no solid, Use this here, but not here. Topaz works differently with different images. Let me give you some examples:

I'm sure you'll recognize this, it's yours lol.
    The Topaz works great here. It brings out that definitive line that all 'cartoon' type images have. It adds to that feel and that look and it enhances not only the focal but the entire piece as well.

However,

Here, you shouldn't have used it, or more rather you should have used less of it. This image of Mace is very flowing, with quite a lot of movement. These are contradictory to what Topaz does(ACTUALLY does, not what it says it does) Topaz creates lines and is more of an 'enhancer/edge detection', well in a piece like this you don't need those hard edges. It's moving, and moving things aren't static or 'hard' like the lines that Topaz works off of.

This one as well,

Another of yours, yes? This tag benefits from Topaz, but not this much. I don't know the specifics of your settings, but when Topaz is this noticeable, it distracts from the tag overall(personal opinion mixed with a few years of photography none-sense). Topaz looks best when you don't notice it first. It's just an enhancer, not a focal process. By focal process I'm talking about smudging or a drastic color change, etc. Things that you see when you glance at something.

Here, I don't say ditch the Topaz. I would say lower it by about 1/2, a 1/3 even. Use it, but kinda use it sparingly, ya know?

Or this:

Rob's more recent post, spectacular piece. Why? Because he used Topaz in a way that benefited the tag. Here, he used it to accent the lines and changes between his smudging, a thing that Topaz does quite well(talking about the bit over Optimus' shoulder to the left).

Again, no one can give you a solid 'This is how you use it' sort of answer. You could use the same render in a smudge tag with Topaz and it'll look great, but if you use it in a C4D tag with Topaz, it looks like garbage. It's all about the tag itself and whether Topaz can enhance what you've already got going.

I hope this helps you understand things a bit.

Aure

P.S - Thanks for not minding me using your images guys
    Wow Aure! That has to be the best explaination ever! Thanks mate! That's just what I needed.
    Big hug comin your way buddy.
    Last edited by bmarlo; 03-27-2012 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Didn't see Aure's awesome explaination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm pretty much like Rob when I use it... and Aurelius pretty much nailed it on the head on how to explain the good and bad

in the Mr. Jackson tag, I would have only used it on he's clothes and still set to a 25% or 50% Opac... also what I do ALL THE TIME is Dup the layer, set the topaz.. then click on and off that layer and see where and how much it changes the pic...

Refresh for more Sigs

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Zero View Post
    click on and off that layer and see where and how much it changes the pic...
    +1 to that lol thats what i do all the time