Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread:
The Game of Thrones: Whaddya Guys Think?

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Game of Thrones: Whaddya Guys Think?

I love an ambitious, sprawling yarn --- full of rich, multifaceted characters and story arc. I think we're going to get that here (reminds me so much of "The Wire" in that regard). It's nice they don't pander to the Attention Deficit Disorder crowd (and a good thing it's on a premium channel -- otherwise it would've tanked, rather than an instant renewal right after airing the first episode).

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    C'mon, two episodes in and absolutely no discussion --- shame, shame! Sean Bean: all time favorite medieval character actor

HacksDen Staff
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What channel/time is it on? I've been watching Camelot to fill my medieval thirst until Spartacus comes back next year.

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Far better than Camelot --- Sundays @ 9pm EST on HBO (or your favorite torrent site for tv):
    http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones?cmpid=ABC794

HacksDen Staff
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ah no wonder I haven't heard of it. HBO is an extra $20 on the bill so we left it off. I'll check it out though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Its a prickly issue for me lol

HacksDen Staff
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay I've seen the 3 episodes now. Entertaining show. The imp is by far my favorite character. That guy was born for this role. I was surprised to see Lena Headey. After the Terminator series tanked I figured she went into hiding or something lol. Not that she was bad, mind you. Just a mess of a series.

Being 3 in, I'm ready for them to start having some whitewalker action already. I know it's all centered around the books, and as I haven't read them I don't know when it's coming, but I hope soon.

Sean Bean is Sean Bean. I'd hit it.

Looking forward to seeing the next time the little Prince Lannister gets his ego handed to him.

I'm still not in the better than Camelot camp. It picked up quite a bit faster than Camelot, for sure. It took me about 3 or 4 viewing of Camelot's first episode to decide whether I wanted to continue watching it. But now that I have it's picking up. Plus I'd watch just about anything with Eva Green in chain mail until my eyes burned out of their sockets lol.

But GoT is quite good and I'll keep watching. The intro cinematic always reminds me of the board game Risk, which is awesome.

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yes, the actor playing the imp is par excellent. Peter Dinklage is the actor (yes, I went to the trouble to look'em up, lol). Episode 4 ended in him being seized by Sean Bean's wife for the attempt on their now-crippled child's life. The pacing is very slow, and deliberate --- both to attest to characterization, background, and foreshadowing of the "winter coming" that we keep hearing about.

Jamie Lannister (the one who likes doing his sister) is also somewhat of an enigma, both in terms of loyalty and agenda. Keep in mind the story covered is a work of multiple volumes, so have patience --- and I've not had the benefit of reading it prior, lol. I've not had a cast of such characters to keep track of ever since "The Wire" (an absolute stellar ensemble of cops and criminals).

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For anyone who is clueless as to the subject matter, I found an excellent "reasons to watch" link here:
    http://www.ugo.com/tv/reasons-to-watch-game-of-thrones

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightstah For This Useful Post:

HacksDen Staff
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah I loved how Daenerys (the blonde who got hitched to Ronin from Stargate Atlantis) completely 180'd on her brother and finally knocked some sense into him (not that I think it'll stick). Looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

On a side note I'm officially renaming Camelot to The Eva Green Happy Hour, starring Eva Green as Morgan Pendragon with small cameos by Jamie Campbell Bower as some skinny lovesick puppy that everyone keeps calling King Arthur.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ithian For This Useful Post: