Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread:
The uLoader Handy Guide

Amateur Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hermes cIOS

I've been told that uLoader will only partner with Hermes's cIOS. After reading the first post of this thread, I want to know if I need to use NUS Downloader to get the actual cIOS files, or if the uLoader already has the cIOSs itself.

Thanks.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yes, uLoader only uses hermes cIOS. I have a guide to install Hermes cIOS, or you can download it with ModMii.

http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.p...Any-Wii-w-Ease!
    http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.p...02-222-223-224

The easiest way to get it installed is to download the wad files with ModMii. Go ahead and use the installer if you want, that's how I would do it. But I see no reason to use uLoader, it hasn't been supported in a long time. You're better trying CFG, WiiFlow, or usb loader GX. I didn't think it was that great of a usb loader.

Amateur Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

Well, I would, but it's just my preference to use DVDs. I know that uLoader can still use DVDs. Don't ask why, I just like it that way. You may judge me al you want, but I'm that stubborn.

I'll check out your links as soon as it I'm ready.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by laukinming; 09-14-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    No, there is no cIOS files included. If you use the installer you either have to do the online install which doesn't require downloading the IOS files from NUSD, or you can to the offline install which will require you to download the stuff from NUSD. The files downloaded from NUSD are not wad files. Another option is to download the wad files with ModMii and install them with a wad manager.

I have always install them like this
    Hermes v4 IOS222 - base of 38
    Hermes v4 IOS223 - base of 37 + 38
    Hermes v5.1 IOS224 - base of 57

But if you are strictly using hermes uLoader then install v5.1 for all 3 of them but keep the same base IOS I listed above.

You are trying to use a USB DVD drive right? This wont magically get a Wii disc drive working that isn't capable of loading backup DVDs?
    Last edited by stomp_442; 09-14-2014 at 11:49 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stomp_442 For This Useful Post:

Amateur Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, stomp_442 for your help.

I will print out your answers as soon as I finish with all my stupid questions.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Now my first stupid question: How many cIOS files can I install on the Wii?

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The IOS will install to slots, official Wii IOS use up to slot 80. The cIOS will install in slots over 200. cIOS are custom IOS used for unofficial Nintendo stuff like homebrew, You can install quite a bit of them. I doubt you will fill up the Wii internal memory by installing IOS's.

I would also like to point out that there aren't that many cIOS to install, I shall list them

There are others that you can install from cIOS insaller but pretty much useless.

Sorry, I got to sleep now, if you post more maybe joostin or somebody will help, if not then I'll see you after I sleep and work.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 09-15-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Amateur Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    You are trying to use a USB DVD drive right? This wont magically get a Wii disc drive working that isn't capable of loading backup DVDs?
    I don't understand.

EDIT: Actually, I do plan on using a USB DVD reader. I'm not stupid, nor am I ignorant.

I know that all the black Wiis and some of the white Wiis do not support burnt discs any longer, at least not without a modified piece of hardware (i.e. mod chips).
    Last edited by laukinming; 09-15-2014 at 12:59 AM.

Amateur Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good night, stompy.

We've met for quite a short time ago, but I am beginning to think the world of you!

Sleep well.

Amateur Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also plan on installing Startpatch on a Wii as so to play region-free games on it and prevent flashing the system back to stock.

I understand that Startpatch uses d2x cIOSs, and not Hermes.

Number one, is it wise to have two cIOS of the same base to coexist?

Number two, if they can, can they be configured to use different slots on the Wii? For example, Hermes and d2x both have an IOS which is base 57. If I change one of Hermes's IOS57 to its "proper" slot, will d2x's IOS automatically change?

Thank you.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laukinming View Post
    I also plan on installing Startpatch on a Wii as so to play region-free games on it and prevent flashing the system back to stock.

I understand that Startpatch uses d2x cIOSs, and not Hermes.

Number one, is it wise to have two cIOS of the same base to coexist?

Number two, if they can, can they be configured to use different slots on the Wii? For example, Hermes and d2x both have an IOS which is base 57. If I change one of Hermes's IOS57 to its "proper" slot, will d2x's IOS automatically change?

Thank you.
    Don't install startpatch, install priiloader instead. Nobody uses that anymore since priiloader was released. Look in the downloads section here for the latest HacksDen version of priiloader. I don't think anybody here has used startpatch, so if you install that you are on your own. I'm not even sure how that works or if it supports the system menu that you are using. Startpatch is old and abandon a long time ago.

The cIOS are used one at a time. When you start uLoader it will call on a cIOS to boot the application, you can set (in the uLoader settings) the cIOS that uLoader will use. Then in the game settings you can also set what cIOS to load the game with. If I'm not mistaken, the default cIOS that uLoader will use is IOS222, and the game setting will also have IOS222 set to load the game, you only need to change what cIOS is used for compatibility. Consider IOS like a driver, it does nothing until it is call upon. One cIOS will not interfere with another cIOS.

While it maybe safe to delete a cIOS, it is a good habit to get into of not deleting anything from the NAND unless you are sure about what you are doing. Always install, never delete. If you installed IOS249 with a base of 38 and then you later decided you want IOS249 with a base of 56 then just re-install the cIOS, the current install will overwrite the previous install. Never delete an IOS below IOS200, you can brick your Wii if you delete the wrong IOS.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 09-15-2014 at 04:46 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stomp_442 For This Useful Post: