+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HacksDen Staff
    Thanks

Overclocking AMD Graphics With MSI Afterburner

Current Version: 2.2.3

MSI Afterburner is a RivaTuner-based utility that allows you to easily and conveniently overclock your graphics card in addition to a number of other features, including a built in OSD. With AB you can easily control your card's clocks and voltage.

Always be careful when overclocking and especially overvolting your graphics card. If you see artifacts on-screen during game play or other atypical issues you should ALWAYS back out of whatever application you're using and bring down your clocks/voltage. When overvolting it is very EASY to burn out your card. I nor HD will be held responsible if you fry your hardware.

Before getting started you will need to download the program HERE.

Enable Official Overclock

The instructions in this section established by LTMatt.

There are two ways to overclock with AMD cards (particularly 7970 models). The official way using CCC/overdrive and the unofficial way using MSI afterburner which is detailed below.

The problem with the unofficial method is that it causes some problems in terms of screen flicker, especially when switching between profiles, as well as other problems. It also affects power play, meaning cards don't always clock down as they should. The best way to overclock is with the official method. Doing it this way, you will find less problems with power play and ULPS as well as the other problems mentioned.

The problems with the official method in the past were the limits imposed by CCC. To get around that do the following:

1. Install the latest AMD drivers.
    2. Install the latest version of MSI Afterburner.
    3. Right click afterburner desktop shortcut.
    4. Select properties and add -xcl to the target box. It should then look like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe" -xcl
    5. Click apply and run the shortcut. It will say ccc limits increased.
    6. Delete -xcl, apply, and restart your pc.
    7. You can now use the official overclock method without those crappy ccc limits.
    8. Now you can overclock using AMD's optimal method. There are no CCC limits and you can adjust the voltage. This is SO much more stable than overclocking the Un-official way using msi afterburner.

This should remove the flicker flash problems that AMD users have been complaining about recently.

Warning: You shouldn't unlock overdrive in CCC using this method otherwise it might interfere with afterburner.

You can set everything with afterburner once you've done this: Clocks, volts, power level and fan control unless your card is locked, like the 7970m. If that's the case you can still overvolt your card by flashing the vBIOS (covered in a later tutorial).

Enable Unofficial Overclock

This is for users with AMD cards who wish to enable the unofficial overclocking mode in MSI Afterburner. It may be necessary to use this if the official overclock method for AMD above does not work for you.

First navigate to MSIAfterburner.cfg file in AB's main folder. Likely in C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\

You'll need to open the cfg file in notepad or wordpad. Scroll all the way to the bottom and find the following lines:

Code:
    [ATIADLHAL]
    UnofficialOverclockingEULA =
    UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0
    Change these to (or copy and paste the following):

Code:
    [ATIADLHAL]
    UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
    UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1
    You should have access now to your card's clocks, fans speeds and voltage control (if supported by your card). This version of overclocking control is not supported and can lead to bugs/glitches that you would otherwise not experience like screen tearing, instability, etc. Usually a restart will help stabilize things.
    Last edited by Ithian; 02-13-2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: little updates

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ithian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I did this a few weeks ago, very happy with results! Bump my old GeForce 8600gts up about 250mhz, helped improve my FPS in dolphin =D

Please consider voting for "A Hat In Time" for steam green light! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=92952101
    Consoles: Wii @ 3.2U waninkoko CIOS 21 CFG usb loader, Xbox 360 flashed lite-on LT+2.1, Xbox 360 Falcon Reset Glitched, PS1, DSi m3i @ 1.41 fw, DS phat/lite PSP cfw 6.00m, 3DS, PS3.

HacksDen Staff
    Thanks
    It's a really awesome little program. I love having presets for different speed overclocks. Can't be beat.

Thanks
    Ya, its really a great program, i tried others but this one was my favorite by far .

Please consider voting for "A Hat In Time" for steam green light! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=92952101
    Consoles: Wii @ 3.2U waninkoko CIOS 21 CFG usb loader, Xbox 360 flashed lite-on LT+2.1, Xbox 360 Falcon Reset Glitched, PS1, DSi m3i @ 1.41 fw, DS phat/lite PSP cfw 6.00m, 3DS, PS3.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Can it overclock a laptops gpu?

HacksDen Staff
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermasterpig View Post
    Can it overclock a laptops gpu?
    It sure can. I took the snapshot of the UI above on my laptop (notice the "m" on the graphics card model). Works like a champ.

Also should mention it might depend on when your card was made. My other laptop has a nvidia gpu so I can't test earlier AMD/ATI revisions, but let me know if it doesn't work and what model card you have.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    My AMD card for my laptop already says 100% for the core clock and memory clock. I didn't install that drive though should I follow all the instructions I must say I am nervous lol.

HacksDen Staff
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermasterpig View Post
    My AMD card for my laptop already says 100% for the core clock and memory clock. I didn't install that drive though should I follow all the instructions I must say I am nervous lol.
    Going 100% just means your card is maxed out at the clocks it's currently set to. Raising those clock speeds means it will be able to go beyond that 100%

The most important thing when you overclock is that you watch your card temps with something like HWMonitor or HWiNFO64/32. Look up your card's safe operating temperatures and throttle point (if there is one). Then test overclock in slow increments starting at stock clocks. When you start seeing artifacts/black screens/etc. then back it off and you'll find your card's max overclock.

Biggest danger is overvolting, increasing the voltage flowing into the card. That's where it's easy to burn the card out by turning clocks up too high. Usually the worst you get from overclocking is a black screen and need to reboot. It's hard to do permanent damage unless you blast the clocks and leave it there for a long period of time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a utility that checks my gpu temp. The problem is I can't set my gpu past 100% I guess I am just doing something wrong.

HacksDen Staff
    Thanks
    Which method are you trying official or unofficial, and if official are you getting the little popup box when you run the shortcut saying it's been enabled?