Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread:
I can install IOS in vWii! But...

Hacksden Member
    Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can install IOS in vWii! But...

(Copy of my thread over at gbatemp.net )
    UPDATE 2013-01-03: Patches updated to allow installation of hidden titles now. (was still broken with error -1017 with older patches)
    Thanks to FIX94 for bringing this issue to my attention, so I could fix it
    IOS236 Installer also updated with these patches.

Well, I am sure that thread title caught your attention :P Well, maybe.

With the release of HBC v1.1.1 (v1.1.2 now) (for those who do not know of this, links here, here and here), access to AHBPROT-related features is now available on the vWii of the Wii U.

So anyways, I installed the new HBC this morning, but unable to make a NAND dump due to BootMii being unable to be installed on the vWii. However, I managed to fully dump the entire unencrypted contents of my Wii U's vWii NAND using WiiPower+Nicksasa's old FS Toolbox app, which I had modified to add in support for AHBPROT runtime IOS patching so it would actually work in vWii. The main reason I wanted to dump the NAND contents was to have a look at the vWii IOS, especially due to them being hardcoded to throw error -1017 if trying to install a system title, and I wanted to try patch that out.

FS Toolbox MOD dol+src here, use it at your own risk! Could brick vWii if you do not know what you are doing.

So I managed to get what I wanted, and after a while messing around in IDA (despite me not really having much coding or reverse engineering knowledge), I managed to find out where this new IOS "feature" was, and managed to create a few patches that, when applied via either AHBPROT supporting app, or by hex editing the ES IOS module then rewriting it to NAND, will then allow that vWii IOS to be able to install system titles like IOS once more (and presumably system menu too, but I am too scared to try that right now, since I do not have any way to recover vWii if it does not like that).

UPDATE 2012-12-11: (Patches updated, should work for all versions of vWii IOS now)
    So, here are the patches I made, 3 in total, must apply all 3 to ES module in IOS (well technically 5, pt1 and pt2 patches get applied twice each)

Code:
    Kill_AntiSysTitleInstallv3_pt1 <- must patch 2 instances of this pattern!
    681A2A01D005
    681A2A0146C0
    Kill_AntiSysTitleInstallv3_pt2 <- must patch 2 instances of this pattern!
    D0023306429AD101
    46C03306429AE001
    Kill_AntiSysTitleInstallv3_pt3
    68FB2B00DB01
    68FB2B00DB10
    Modified iospatch.c for AHBPROT apps with these added patches here. <- link updated 2013-01-03, updated with v3 of my patch.

Now that we can install IOS wads on vWii, what can we do?
    Well, here is where that big "But..." in the thread title comes in.
    Answer is, not much at all, at least not yet.

You can install older IOS (and cIOS if you have signature patch enabled too), but you cannot do much with them. I have not tested any with games, so do not know what would happen there, but just testing them out in Multi-Mod Manager (WiiMod would blackscreen on me every time I tried loading it with AHBPROT support on vWii... do not know why), I noticed that both older Wii IOS, and cIOS, which are based on them, you can reload to them, and perform basic things (like navigate around the app for example), but nothing really too awesome.

However, every time you try to initialize SD or USB with either old Wii IOS or cIOS, they would crash, freezing the Wii U, which is of course no real use at all. Also, for me, it seemed that initializing network abilities is not doable with these either. Trying did not freeze the Wii U like initiializing SD or USB did, but just "failed to initialize network" error message in apps.

So, long story short, these patches allow Wii U vWii IOS to install system titles once again, no more error -1017. Do so at your own risk though. You can reload to older IOS, but can not use many features without them crashing and freezing up the Wii U. For things like USB Loaders to work on Wii U vWii, I believe things like d2x cIOS would have to be updated to support using vWii IOS as bases for vWii cIOS.

...I think that sums it all up. Well, enjoy!

UPDATE 2012-01-03:
    IOS236 installer updated with new v3 patches: here
    Last edited by damysteryman; 01-06-2013 at 05:47 AM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to damysteryman For This Useful Post:

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thread manually approved. I apologize for the auto moderation.

I'll have a little closer look little later. It seems like an interesting read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Judge me by the content of my character and not the color of my politics.
    Feedback from my work: 1, 2, 3, 4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Krafter For This Useful Post:

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I also tried to use WiiMC. I installed the WiiMC channel and that would get a black screen when selected. But launching WiiMC from the homebrew channel works. I tried to access my network and got the same thing you got "failed to initialize network". I could play a movie from the SD card though, yay, something works. I haven't modded any of the IOS's.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 12-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    When you say "selected", do you mean launched, or when you click on the channel to view the banner?
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    banner displayed fine, i think. I can't remember, I removed it because it wasn't useful.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stomp_442 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I asked crediar about this issue, he said that the custom channel for "Wii Homebrew Launcher" >>just worked<<. I'll be doing some checks to see what's different in that Channel compared to others. If I find something, I'll report back.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to setialpha For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So here they are:

FS Toolbox 4c:
    Binary: http://downloads.nanolx.org/FS-Toolbox-0.4c.tar.bz2
    GIT: https://github.com/Nanolx/fstoolbox

Changes:
    - improved some strings
    - now using libruntimeiospatch
    - added icon.png + meta.xml
    - show "Exiting FS Toolbox" when pressing Home
    - disable useless update-function

IOS236 Installer vWii 6c:
    Binary: http://downloads.nanolx.org/IOS236-Installer-6c.tar.bz2
    GIT: https://github.com/Nanolx/ios236-installer-vwii

Changes:
    - improved meta.xml
    - now using libruntimeiospatch

@damysteryman: I thought GIT repos are good for keeping track of changes -- not that I want to take your fame

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Joostin just asked me to post my newest stuff in here and yea here we go :P
    Just finished to modify the d2x installer to work with vWii, no IOS236 or other IOS is needed, no wads or anything, just that installer, it will extract the IOS directly from the NAND, patch and install it as cIOS. The network code is removed btw, saves size and doesnt help anymore anyways.
    Oh, and here is the link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?6bmthtyas3q17cr
    Source is included of course.
    Thanks dmm for the patches earlier, they do a great job

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FIX94 For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FIX94 View Post
    Joostin just asked me to post my newest stuff in here and yea here we go :P
    Just finished to modify the d2x installer to work with vWii, no IOS236 or other IOS is needed, no wads or anything, just that installer, it will extract the IOS directly from the NAND, patch and install it as cIOS. The network code is removed btw, saves size and doesnt help anymore anyways.
    Oh, and here is the link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?6bmthtyas3q17cr
    Source is included of course.
    Thanks dmm for the patches earlier, they do a great job
    Has anybody tried this yet, what can the cIOS be used for? Can the cIOS be removed or deleted? Has it been tested? Is d2x v6 the highest version that can be installed or can I use v7 or v8?

edit:
    I ran the installer but didn't install a cIOS, I did see the installer doing some patching though. After that I exited the installer and did a sysCheck, with an unmodded version of the app. I also was able to upload the report to the internet, so the wifi does work.

http://syscheck.softwii.de/Niyrv5Xu
    Last edited by stomp_442; 12-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.