Thread:
My thoughts on the Wii U so far

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

My thoughts on the Wii U so far

I have mixed feelings on it. I think it's got some good games and features, but it's also lacking in certain areas.

What I like:
    My favorite feature so far is the gamepad. I love being able to play from the gamepad alone, and using headphones is nice too. I can play in the living room without bothering anyone else, and even continue my game if someone wants to watch a movie. It's also surprisingly light, despite its bulk. One time the power stopped working in the living room, and I was able to just move the Wii U into another room and keep playing. I didn't have to mess with any AV cables or find another TV. It was awesome.

The new friend system is great too. While it's hardly revolutionary, Nintendo finally left the ridiculous Friend Code system behind. I'm able to send friend requests to anybody, including people I've just played online (there is a list of all people you have recently played with in any game under Friends), and search for people by name.

Miiverse is also great. While their code of conduct might be a little bit strict, it is really nice to be able to chat about whatever game you are playing, post screenshots, make jokes, or ask for help on a specific portion. You have instant access to game-specific forums.

What I don't like:
    I feel like Nintendo took a great system (despite the name), then removed a key feature: media playback. Almost all consoles for over the past few years have included some sort of media player. When it was announced that the Wii U wouldn't have a DVD or Blueray player, I was annoyed, but I assumed that it would at least support playback from a HDD. Even the Photo Channel on the Wii had (limited) support for music, image, and video files on the SD card. Expanding media options has also been one of the main reasons people hack consoles. And yet, they didn't include even a basic media player. Your only options are streaming from Youtube or a service that costs money like Netflix. Not cool, Nintendo.

While third party support is better than it was on the Wii, it still is nowhere near that of other consoles. EA seems to be boycotting Nintendo since the Origin incident. It may be too early to tell how things will play out, but I am worried that the Wii U will never get the third party support seen on other consoles.

So that's how I feel. Do you agree or disagree? Is there anything I missed?
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Nintendo better be working on a new console right now, something that will compete with the competition. Why does Nintendo always need to be one step behind the other consoles? The Wii U can just be considered an upgraded Wii, sort of like the DSi was to the DS lite.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Unless you have some complaints that I didn't mention (and I'd like to hear them), just about everything I mentioned can be fixed with updates.

(\__/)

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My only complaint about the Wii U right now is that my console locks up at random. It locked up a lot when I first got it, but seems not to do it much any more. But within the last week or so it seems to be doing it a lot. Holding the power button in does not power it down, I need to pull the power wire out of the back of it, which I don't like doing. My daughters friend had a Wii U, but her dad got rid of it when it started locking up. Way to go Nintendo.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Mine has only locked up twice. I do hate that they got rid of the hard shutdown though.

(\__/)