+ Reply to Thread
    HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wii Problems - Wii Not Working - Troubleshooting

There are quite a few common problems you may experience with a modded or even a virgin Wii. These problems can be software related, hardware related or a combination of both. This thread is dedicated to the discussion of these problems with solutions on how to fix them. Feel free to post any common Wii Problems with a brief explaination on how to fix the issue. Please provide a link to the guide or fix (if one exists) in your post.

Keep in mind that this is not the place to ask for help if you have an unresolved problem or bricked Wii question. Unresolved problems or questions related to softmods or hardware issues should be posted in the Bricked Wii section of our site. Please don't post full guides or tutorial fixes here as a simple summary with a link to a guide will suffice. I'll start with a couple common problems I see quite often.

Disc Drive - Disc Read Error

The Wii disc read error message is usually caused by a hardware malfunction, specifically with the disc drive itself. There are a number of potential causes for this error but the most common are a bad laser pickup or a broken disc spindle. If you’re good at troubleshooting and repairing electronics, you may be able to save yourself a few bucks by replacing or repairing the broken part such as the laser pickup or disc spindle. Unfortunately, the only sure-shot way to fix the problem is by replacing the broken drive with a new functional drive. The cost for a new Wii disc drive should be in the range of $30-$75USD and can vary in price based on the playback functionality of the drive. Drives that can read and playback other media such as DVDs or backup game discs generally sell for more than drives that can only read Wii games. I would personally recommend searching eBay for the best deal on a replacement disc drive or repair part. Making this repair requires the use of special tools such as a small tri-wing screwdriver and small precision Philips screwdriver. Here’s an excellent Wii disassembly guide you will need to follow to make the repair or or replace the drive yourself.

Wii Boots to Black Screen / Remote Not Working

The Wii must initialize the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi modules before it can load the system menu. If either one of these modules fail to initialize, the Wii will halt the boot process prior to loading the main menu resulting in a black screen or BSOD (black screen of death).

NOTICE: If you have a black screen and it was caused by softmodding, upgrading/downgrading your system menu, installing/deleting IOS, or messing around with Homebrew apps (like Dop-Mii, Wad Manager, etc.) You most likely have a software brick and the following hardware fix will not help you. If this is the case, you should take a look at the Brick Fix Any Wii Guide and see if you can find the solution for your problem. If your problem isn't listed in the guide, visit our Bricked Wii section and search the posts or create a new post explaining your problem so someone can help you.

If your Wii is softmodded you should check to see if you can access Bootmii (if installed as Boot2) or Priiloader before proceeding. If you have access to either one of these you should not continue with the following instructions unless you've ruled out all possible software issues. If you don't know how to go about doing this you should post your problem in the bricked section for advice.

Continued...

To figure out which module is bad you need to test a couple things. First, you need to get yourself a Savemii or make a Savemiifrii and use it to enter recovery mode. If you enter recovery mode successfully and see the system menu version listed in the lower right hand corner of your screen, you likely have a bad Bluetooth module and need to replace it. If you don't see your system menu version, your problem is possibly a bad Wi-Fi module or you have a corrupt NAND. Since there's no way to troubleshoot this further without replacing the Wi-Fi module, you may be better off sending your Wii out for repair at this point. If you decide to replace the Wi-Fi module and still have a black screen, you likely have a corrupt NAND and it needs to be flashed with a programmer. There are members here who can provide this service for you or you can attempt it yourself by following the Wii Infectus Guide.

If you choose to attempt any of the above repairs yourself you will need special tools and the proper replacement part(s). You can find replacement Bluetooth and Wi-Fi modules on eBay for around $10/ea. Here's a great guide that will help you correctly disassemble your console Replacing your Wii's Internal Parts!.

You should send your Wii to Nintendo for repair if it's still under manufacturers warranty.
    FYI: A Wii that has been modded or disassembled in any way is no longer under warranty!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to streamlinehd For This Useful Post:

News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 817 Posts
    Sometimes I have a problem with my WiFi, it will not work for about 3 days, then for no reason it will start working. I know what caused the initial problem, a while back my daughter and a friend were playing a gamecube game and somebody tripped over the controller cable and pulled the Wii from its resting place under my TV. The Wii didn't fall on the floor, it was hanging by the wires, but probably took a good bump to it. Ever since, if the Wii gets jarred or takes any kind of shock, the wifi goes out for a few days then starts working again.

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sounds like the module is alittle loose.

Sent from somewhere other than a PC

Got Gav'd

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    Sometimes I have a problem with my WiFi, it will not work for about 3 days, then for no reason it will start working. I know what caused the initial problem, a while back my daughter and a friend were playing a gamecube game and somebody tripped over the controller cable and pulled the Wii from its resting place under my TV. The Wii didn't fall on the floor, it was hanging by the wires, but probably took a good bump to it. Ever since, if the Wii gets jarred or takes any kind of shock, the wifi goes out for a few days then starts working again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Ad84 View Post
    Sounds like the module is alittle loose.
    Yep that's likely the issue and the fix is as mentioned in post #1 but you probably don't need to buy a new module. Disassembling the Wii and making sure the module is snug in place should fix your problem.

Thanks
    You should send your Wii to Nintendo for repair if it’s still under manufacturer’s warranty.
    Should you add a little disclaimer and say that they will not fix it if it has previously been taken apart or softmoddeD?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LiNkZoR For This Useful Post:

New User
    Thanks

Wii problem.

Hello.
    I have had my Wii for about 6 years and lately I been experiencing problems with it. My Wii started clicking when I put a game in it, So I bought a Wii spindle hub and got it installed. After that was done, I put a game in it and it does not spin at all it just does a loud click. What do you think it could be? I do not wanna send it in and spend lots of money if I can get it installed for nothing at all. I am wanting to buy a new optical dvd drive, do you think that would be best?

Thanks for any answers!

News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm not experienced in hardware repairs, but if the disc was spinning before you took it apart, and then you took it apart to replace a part and now the disc don't spin, the logical answer would be that the part you installed is not working correctly or you installed it incorrectly. Have you taken it apart a second time to inspect it to make sure everything is in its place.

The initial clicking sound you heard may have been the laser lens searching for a disc. Maybe just cleaning the lens would have corrected it.

Then again, there may be more to it than what I know. I was just making a suggestion, don't base what I say as being a solution. I really don't know much about failing hardware. Maybe somebody else that knows more will make a reply.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 01-12-2013 at 12:02 AM.

New User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    I'm not experienced in hardware repairs, but if the disc was spinning before you took it apart, and then you took it apart to replace a part and now the disc don't spin, the logical answer would be that the part you installed is not working correctly or you installed it incorrectly. Have you taken it apart a second time to inspect it to make sure everything is in its place.

The initial clicking sound you heard may have been the laser lens searching for a disc. Maybe just cleaning the lens would have corrected it.

Then again, there may be more to it than what I know. I was just making a suggestion, don't base what I say as being a solution. I really don't know much about failing hardware. Maybe somebody else that knows more will make a reply.
    Thank you. The Wii was cleaned out and still had the same problem before the part was replaced.

News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oh, so the reason you took it apart was because the disc wasn't spinning and it was making a clicking sound? Either way, maybe somebody else can help, I gave it my best. For all I know, smacking it with a hammer a few times may fix it. I have a Sega Dreamcast with a drive that will not spin the disc, I'm looking for a cheap replacement drive for it as I don't think a dreamcast is worth sinking a whole lot of money into since a used console costs as much as a replacement drive. Just think about the time and money invested, and then look at a good used console, maybe a used console may be worth in long run. I've seen used Wii's going for $50 - $60, and no doubt you may find one for cheaper.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stomp_442 For This Useful Post:

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Stomp is correct, it sounds to me like you need a new laser pickup.

Sent from my iPhone