Thread:
Free programs that do jobs just as good, if not better, than paid versions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Free programs that do jobs just as good, if not better, than paid versions.

Why not have a thread for something of this sorts? Lots better than searching all over the net to find one guy that says this program works, where everywhere else is advertising the program that costs $100 a year.

DO NOT POST ITEMS THAT ARE CRACKED/PIRATED Not only is it illegal, but they suck big time most of the time. Also, cracked garbage has some guy monkeying around with files that the program always uses, that normally leads to issues while running. Also, some more programs that really care about their security will do bad things to your computer that are very hard to find in the code, if it detects that the security failsafes were edited/deleted.

Video Recording-
    This is a tough one for me to find a good one, been looking all over the place, tried FRAPS and the output files are HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEE, and it costs money. Tried hypercam, but the files are also large and the software itself doesn't like to work for me. Large impact while recording. Hypercam is also paid software
    Best one I just found, and it's free is called Open Broadcast Software, OBS for short Requires some fine tuning of settings, but this is stream ready and the files are compressed when they come. No watermark. Here's an example, this ten minute clip came out to be 148mb, it gets a little bit choppy at times but that can be fixed with upping my bitrate.

Spoiler

Word Processor-
    Libreoffice is the way to go, it's free and does most of the things you might need word for. I do not think there is a powerpoint type program with libre office, but for anything else you may need that word office, libreoffice has it. I have heard rumors that OpenOffice is no longer being developed, but I use libreoffice when I need something, especially while on Linux. But I do have the university edition of Office 365, which last for four years but that's a topic for another day. Both work, and libreoffice is just a branch off of Openoffice.

File compressor/decompressor
    Winrar does work great, and even though only says it is a 30 day free trial, it still let's you use it after 30 days. Personally, I use 7Zip, works great and it doesn't change the icon for your zipped files. I don't like how winrar makes your files look

Movie converter
    This may also do music, but I'm not sure. I've used lots of software that is supposed to be top notch paid software, and free junk you find on some site for PSP. None of them come close to compare to Handbrake , it converts FAST, you can set up a list to convert, however, if I were you I would get a small clip and convert it first to make sure it's to your liking, because the amount of setting you can modify on Handbrake are numerous, make sure it looks good enough for you and runs on your device. While it does have a couple of stock settings, you may have to google what your device needs if it is really picky, I'm looking at you PlayStation Portable. Most devices will work just fine with the stock formats, though. Handbrake also has the lowest resource usage of the other programs I've used, they would slow my PC down to a snail, yet as far as I can remember I did not have that issue, or not as much.

Text editor:
    There are TONS of these things out there, and all of them are FREE. I'll give you two that i've used (Barely used Komodo edit, proffesor recommended it);
    Notepad++ Works great, and highlight syntax and all of that stuff for you if you have code in your file, but you may have to title with the appropriate extension. WINDOWS ONLY
    Komodo Edit Does all the fancy stuff that I listed about notepad++, and probably more cool things. LINUX and WINDOWS

PDF Reader
    Foxit Reader
    Last time I compared it to Adobe Reader (which was admittedly a few years ago), it was about 5% of the size. It allows you to edit PDF files (not just read them) and runs smoother too. Thanks to JoostinOnline for suggesting.

Feel free to suggest more, and I'll add this to the list. Who doesn't like free software that works great?
    Last edited by LiNkZoR; 09-10-2013 at 01:26 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LiNkZoR For This Useful Post:

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Foxit Reader!
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

Last time I compared it to Adobe Reader (which was admittedly a few years ago), it was about 5% of the size. It allows you to edit PDF files (not just read them) and runs smoother too.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoostinOnline For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoostinOnline View Post
    Foxit Reader!
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

Last time I compared it to Adobe Reader (which was admittedly a few years ago), it was about 5% of the size. It allows you to edit PDF files (not just read them) and runs smoother too.
    Thanks, I added it to the main post. Also, adobe reader let's you add text to PDF's, which is really helpful for filling out documents such as scholarship applications

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure that Adobe Reader doesn't let you create PDFs though.

Sent from behind you

(\__/)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tried out Komodo Edit, and it is pretty dang fancy for coding. I think I like it better than notepad++ for coding, and it's for both linux, mac, and windows.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LiNkZoR For This Useful Post:

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiNkZoR View Post
    Tried out Komodo Edit, and it is pretty dang fancy for coding. I think I like it better than notepad++ for coding, and it's for both linux, mac, and windows.
    Since Programmers Notepad 2 isn't compatible with Linux, I might try that out.

(\__/)