Thread:
Wii to Wii U (bircked Wii)

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Who does it work? Or to be more specific, what does it do exactly? The reason I ask is, I have a Wii that I unbricked. The owner wanted it unbricked so he could transfer all his saved games from his Wii to his Wii U. The problem is, this console is very unstable as is. If I sneeze it will brick again. It's an easy fix because its a Boot2 Wii but what I'm afraid of is transferring the problem to the Wii U. I believe the problem is with one of the VC games (he has several). When I delete them, the console bricks. When I format, it hangs up and I'm forced to power it off and upon a reboot, it's bricked again. I updated from 4.1 to 4.3 via an official update and it bricked. The most important part of his Wii is his game saves which I have but I just need to find the best way for to get them on his Wii U. Modding might be an option but his Wii was a virgin when I got it so I'm not sure how he would feel about modding his vWii U. The only other thing I can think of is to sell him another modded Wii so he can transfer all his games to that with homebrew and then transfer that system to the Wii U.

Is there any homebrew app that will delete a channel without having the wad to begin with? Is there any type of utility that will clean unused data on the NAND? There's something corrupt on this thing but finding what it is and getting rid of if seems to be next to impossible at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Judge me by the content of my character and not the color of my politics.
    Feedback from my work: 1, 2, 3, 4

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    First I'll address the transfer.
    Step 1: All the save files (at least the ones you choose) are packed into a file and stored on your SD card. Account information for your Shop Channel purchases are stored there too. Everything is likely encrypted, but I'm not sure. No channels are actually copied.
    Step 2: All purchased channels and transferred saves are deleted from your Wii.
    Step 3: You are now on the Wii U. All saves are copied from your SD card to your Wii U, even if they aren't legitimate (i.e. Indiana PWNS). All rights for purchased channels are transferred to the vWii Shop Channel. The channels are then downloaded from NUS.

The only way to get back those channels on the original Wii is to restore a NAND backup, but they will be deleted if you access the Shop Channel.

Now onto the bricked Wii. My advice would be to re-install BC, MIOS, every IOS, and the System Menu. You've likely got some corrupt blocks, and they will be mapped around during a fresh install. You can also use AnyTitle Deleter to get rid of nearly every title.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoostinOnline For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I think you got to download a transfer tool from the eShop and install it on the Wii. Then both consoles have to be connected to the internet at the same time. You may also have to install a tool on the vWii of the Wii U too. I'm not sure how it works, but that's how I had to do it when I transferred stuff from my DSi to my 3DS.

edit - and seeing joostins reply, I could be completely wrong.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 06-09-2014 at 07:29 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stomp_442 For This Useful Post:

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoostinOnline View Post
    First I'll address the transfer.
    Step 1: All the save files (at least the ones you choose) are packed into a file and stored on your SD card. Account information for your Shop Channel purchases are stored there too. Everything is likely encrypted, but I'm not sure. No channels are actually copied.
    Step 2: All purchased channels and transferred saves are deleted from your Wii.
    Step 3: You are now on the Wii U. All saves are copied from your SD card to your Wii U, even if they aren't legitimate (i.e. Indiana PWNS). All rights for purchased channels are transferred to the vWii Shop Channel. The channels are then downloaded from NUS.

The only way to get back those channels on the original Wii is to restore a NAND backup, but they will be deleted if you access the Shop Channel.

Now onto the bricked Wii. My advice would be to re-install BC, MIOS, every IOS, and the System Menu. You've likely got some corrupt blocks, and they will be mapped around during a fresh install. You can also use AnyTitle Deleter to get rid of nearly every title.
    This sounds promising. I couldn't find very much info on exactly what happened burring the transfer. I wasn't sure if the all the VC games would be transferred as is but if I'm understanding you correctly, only the license is transferred. Since it would seem that a VC title is the culprit then I'd say it would be pretty safe to transfer directly from this Wii to the Wii U but to be on the safe side, I'll try AnyTitle (which I totally forgot about.) deleter and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    I think you got to download a transfer tool from the eShop and install it on the Wii. Then both consoles have to be connected to the internet at the same time. You may also have to install a tool on the vWii of the Wii U too. I'm not sure how it works, but that's how I had to do it when I transferred stuff from my DSi to my 3DS.

edit - and seeing joostins reply, I could be completely wrong.
    Thanks Stomp. I've been doing some reading and you are right, there is an app you have to download. I was just afraid to transfer the problem to the Wii U.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Since the channels are downloaded fresh, there won't be any issues with corruption. It's (presumably) done to prevent transfers of any pirated or unofficial channels, but it has other benefits too.

(\__/)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoostinOnline For This Useful Post:

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm determined to fix this damn thing! I found the problem but I can't get rid of it completely. I used AnyTitle Deleter to delete channels and I got lucky and it was one of the first five. It's Contra Rebirth and I just spoke to the owner and he remembers something about shutting the Wii down before it was fully installed. I've attempted to delete it but it bricks every time although I can get into the menu in maintenance mode after that without issue. Is there an app that will write bogus data to unused portions of the NAND? It seems like I remember something like that. How about a really, really big app that I can install that will take up a lot of room? Maybe I could change the title to install it multiple times. There has to be a way to fix this damn thing.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Transfer all the saves and channels to the Wii U, then use http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ohneschwanzenegger to build a new NAND.

(\__/)

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

You're right. I can do that. I can also use Comex NAND Formatter but that's not the point lol. I just want to fix this damn thing as is. It's like a battle to the death between me and it. It would be nice if I could give it back to the owner with a fully functional system like it was before the brick. I've never had one that I hadn't been able to do that but this one has got me stomped. I'll figure out something.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krafter View Post
    You're right. I can do that. I can also use Comex NAND Formatter but that's not the point lol. I just want to fix this damn thing as is. It's like a battle to the death between me and it. It would be nice if I could give it back to the owner with a fully functional system like it was before the brick. I've never had one that I hadn't been able to do that but this one has got me stomped. I'll figure out something.
    Haha, I get that. I got a broken computer for scraps a few weeks ago. It's one of those super-compact desktops that might as well be a laptop without a screen and keyboard. I got most of it out without any issues, but removing the DVD drive and HDD still elude me. I've taken out every screw I can see, and have spent a combination of several hours working on it. At one point I became infuriated and started cutting wires and ripping pieces out. I considered taking a prybar to the thing, but stopped.

At this point it's not about getting those two extra parts, it's about just figuring out how the damn drives come out. Right now it's sitting on my floor, and every once in awhile I'll spend some time looking at it.

(\__/)

HacksDen Staff
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Maybe this idea will work or maybe it won't but I'm going to try it tonight. I'm going to try try use CustomizeMii to create a channel or multiple channels using a dol file that I create. The dol file will be just a large completely empty bin file that I create with a hex editor and give it a .dol extension. The idea behind this is to overwrite the corrupt data after I uninstall Contra.

Edit: I could even give it the same title ID as Contra in hopes it will overwrite in the first try.