Thread:
Bought a new workstation

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Bought a new workstation

Or rather the pieces of one. It should come in the mail next week. I'm on a pretty tight budget right now (had to take out a loan), but I got a nicer motherboard than I would normally need to keep things open for upgrades. I didn't buy a graphics card since I don't plan on playing games, but the PSU should easily support one if I ever do.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=32871787
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    you could have got a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117374 instead and overclocked it way past what that i3 can go, i've heard it can go up to 4Ghz with just stock cooling. I built my brother a g3258 build for $232, but i got really lucky on some of the prices lol, and I gave him my old harddrive and windows through my school. However, the z97 will work with the next batch of cpus that Intel releases.
    Was the promo code EMCASKX92 up when you ordered for the motherboard? If not, i would contact newegg support and have them apply it.

I would also watch out with that power supply, ones that come with cases are usually not too good.

Other than that, it's a pretty nice build. Enjoy it, and have fun building it too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LiNkZoR For This Useful Post:

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I actually considered that processor, but I felt the benefits of the i3 model ( http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...m-and-core-i3/) was worth it. I'm going to see how it performs on its own before deciding whether or not to overclock.

I did use that promo code, and a couple others. My total cost was just under $590.

I'd never heard of built in PSU's being shoddy, but the reviews were pretty positive for the case.

Sent from behind you

(\__/)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoostinOnline View Post
    I actually considered that processor, but I felt the benefits of the i3 model ( http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...m-and-core-i3/) was worth it. I'm going to see how it performs on its own before deciding whether or not to overclock.

I did use that promo code, and a couple others. My total cost was just under $590.

I'd never heard of built in PSU's being shoddy, but the reviews were pretty positive for the case.

Sent from behind you
    I missed that the i3 is hyperthreaded, so it would be better than the g3258 for multithreaded applications, and sometimes the g3258 can't handle some games because they require more than two cores. However, you sadly cannot overclock that i3 as it's locked, or you can by very little. The g3258 is the only pentium that is unlocked (That i know of), and afaik if the i series processor doesn't have a k in it's name then it's locked.

PSU's that come with cases are generally low quality and don't exactly pump out the wattage they say on reddit.com/r/buildapcsales, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you add a video card down the line (If you want to and don't plan on doing any real heavy gaming you can purchase an old top of the line one for $100, it will outperform any new $100 gpu you can find, from what I have seen). I have a rosewill case and it's pretty nice, so the case is no problem. Installing the motherboard was a bit tricky, have your screws and screwdriver close by when you go to install it, as on the two I built i had to hold it in place and screw it in as it would not stay there by itself.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiNkZoR View Post
    I missed that the i3 is hyperthreaded, so it would be better than the g3258 for multithreaded applications, and sometimes the g3258 can't handle some games because they require more than two cores. However, you sadly cannot overclock that i3 as it's locked, or you can by very little. The g3258 is the only pentium that is unlocked (That i know of), and afaik if the i series processor doesn't have a k in it's name then it's locked.
    I've seen lots of guides for overclocking the Core series.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNkZoR View Post
    PSU's that come with cases are generally low quality and don't exactly pump out the wattage they say on reddit.com/r/buildapcsales, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you add a video card down the line (If you want to and don't plan on doing any real heavy gaming you can purchase an old top of the line one for $100, it will outperform any new $100 gpu you can find, from what I have seen). I have a rosewill case and it's pretty nice, so the case is no problem. Installing the motherboard was a bit tricky, have your screws and screwdriver close by when you go to install it, as on the two I built i had to hold it in place and screw it in as it would not stay there by itself.
    If I get a graphics card, it will be low-end. New ones draw very little power anyway.

In my line of work, the only real limitation is the HDD speed. I got a SSD and plenty of USB3.0 ports to take care of my end. The only thing that holds it back are the crappy HDD's in my customers' computers.

(\__/)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoostinOnline View Post
    I've seen lots of guides for overclocking the Core series.
    It has to have an unlocked multiplier which i3's do not have. You can overclock it by like .2 GHz at most.
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...rocessors.html
    unlocked i series are easily identifiable by it have a k at the end of the numbers
    Last edited by LiNkZoR; 05-25-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info. I probably wouldn't have overclocked it anyway.

(\__/)

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    My computer is now all assembled, and it's running great. It's so quiet that I thought the fan might be broken, but it's pumping out a steady (if light) stream of air.

I've put tons of computers together, but not for several years, so I was out of practice. It took me a couple hours (including the Windows install) because I had to rely on the directions for some of the connecters, and they weren't written well.

(\__/)