Thread:
Discussion: Apple's Refusal to Unlock the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Discussion: Apple's Refusal to Unlock the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone

For those of you who haven't been following the news for the past few weeks, Apple refused to bypass the 3 try security (I don't know the actual name, but it wipes the phone if you fail to unlock it 3 times) on Syed Farook's iPhone. He was one of the shooters in the San Bernardino shooting several months ago. You can read more about it here

Apple's reason was that it was a Pandora's box; if they wrote code to unlock the iPhone, every iPhone user would be at risk.

So what do you think? Was Apple right to refuse?

PS: I know politics is a touchy subject, but this effects the electronic community, and hopefully we can keep things civil. I'll close the topic if it gets out of hand.

Sent from behind you
    Last edited by JoostinOnline; 03-14-2016 at 10:50 AM.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Why you didn't post what you thought about the situation? The government wants apple to write a program for them to unlock any iphone. Why the government needs that i don't know but it don't sound good. I think apple should unlock the phone but not give the government software to unlock any iphone. The way I understand it is the government did not approach apple privately to unlock it but did it publicly. I don't under stand, the first thing they should have done was go straight to apple to get it unlocked, not ask for software to unlock any iphone.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    Why you didn't post what you thought about the situation?
    Because it was 6AM and I was typing everything on my phone. You forget sometimes.

I agree with Apple. Even if there was any proof that the phone had valuable info on it (it was a work phone), the FBI is essentially asking for the ability to hack any iPhone. There is also the very real chance that Apple couldn't even do it. Assuming they used sha-256 encryption (which has no known vulnerabilities, and has 2^(8*256) possible keys), they certainly couldn't brute force it.
    The government wants apple to write a program for them to unlock any iphone. Why the government needs that i don't know but it don't sound good. I think apple should unlock the phone but not give the government software to unlock any iphone. The way I understand it is the government did not approach apple privately to unlock it but did it publicly. I don't under stand, the first thing they should have done was go straight to apple to get it unlocked, not ask for software to unlock any iphone.
    That makes sense, but I still don't think Apple would have gone for it. If it got out that they had the ability to hack into iPhones, it would be bad for business. And Apple is all business.

(\__/)

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Apple should be able to unlock an iphone, they made it. I wouldn't think any less of Samsung if they had the means to unlock my phone, just in case I get locked out of it. Besides, can't the phone's carrier provide any contacts that FBI might be looking for?

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Apple should be able to unlock an iphone, they made it. I wouldn't think any less of Samsung if they had the means to unlock my phone, just in case I get locked out of it. Besides, can't the phone's carrier provide any contacts that FBI might be looking for?
    Awhile back, Apple started coding iOS so they didn't have front of backdoor access it. It's designed for complete security. I don't know if the same is true for Android, but it's open source anyway.

I'm pretty sure that Verizon already gave them the contacts and text messages, but I can't find a source for it. They definitely can't view the files. I still don't think there would be anything on a work phone though.

(\__/)

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It would just be a bad thing to do, create software for the government to unlock any thing they want. Other governments around the world would want the same thing, you know, for "legit" uses, then all hell will break loose. Lets say that Apple don't want to give the Brits the unlock key for iPhones, then iPhones might get banned in that country. There is probably a lot of scenarios that could play out if the FBI gets what they want.

As far as I'm concerned, I never keep anything on a digital device that I don't want anybody else to see so I don't really care. If there is a backdoor that the manufacturer can access, then it should be at my request or a court order, but not just because the NSA wants to record my day to day activities.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 03-14-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is certainly on topic, humorous, and entirely accurate

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nightstah For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstah View Post
    This is certainly on topic, humorous, and entirely accurate
    Look at how that SOPA thing went. Our government didn't understand what they were doing there either, until they were educated. I can't believe the people in charge of running our country are so clueless about some of the issues presented to them.

Oh, and if somebody has dic pics on their phone then they deserve to have their phone hacked.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 03-15-2016 at 11:23 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stomp_442 For This Useful Post:

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    @RobGee789 @peire I'd be curious to hear your stance on this, since you are from a different country.

(\__/)

HacksDen Staff
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    well i think apple should unlock the phone but not give out the software to do it, they should do it in house, even if it doesnt find anything atleat it will send a message saying that they can and do it
    Need any gfx making HERE is where to ask

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RobGee789 For This Useful Post: