Thread:
scrapping out old computers

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    Mine is an HP a6528p and still works great , it was given to me by somebody that didn't use it much so it was still kind of new when I got it. I got rid of the Vista and install Win 7 on it. I would not have bought this model myself as the pentium processor in it reminds me of the old cheap celeron processors that were out years before that during the win 98 days. I also have another pc that is an hp slimline that looks just like it and that one has the amd 64 in it, I really liked that one and think I can still fix it with a new power supply.

I don't really do much with a PC except surf the web and forums so all those computers you have would be a dream to me, I really dread the day when I got to upgrade to windows 10. Oh, that reminds me, windows keep reminding me that there is an update to install, what do you think?
    The window to update to Windows 10 for free has closed, although some people are still able to. I would suggest updating, grabbing the key with ProduKey, then optionally reverting back to Windows 7. That way you can upgrade again later if you want using the key.

PS: This is your best friend for CPU shopping. It's the best way to tell whether or not a processor is worth the money.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm not interested in installing Win 10 on this machine, I have it on a laptop and that's good enough for me. I find it kind of odd that I paid $100 for Window 7 and I wont even take Windows 10 for free. Hey, at least I'm still getting updates.

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A little annoyed. The identical board arrived and no post. My previous dead board would "beep" (even though never displayed/posted) if I turned it on without any RAM. This one doesn't even do that. I got a new 60 watt (selectable) soldering iron coming. IDK if the two blown caps being replaced would remedy or not, guess I'm going to find out.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    What's the minimum requirements for Windows 7? If I had enough ram in these machines do you think that win 7 would work on them. I bought a Vista computer that had 512MB ram, it was a dog until I up'd it to 2GB ram. Just wondering if it's possible.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    What's the minimum requirements for Windows 7? If I had enough ram in these machines do you think that win 7 would work on them. I bought a Vista computer that had 512MB ram, it was a dog until I up'd it to 2GB ram. Just wondering if it's possible.
    You need 1GB for it to run well, but more important is the latency and frequency. The rule I use for RAM shopping is latency/frequency. The lower the number, the better.

As far as a CPU, it lists a minimum of 1GHz. While frequency on a processor doesn't mean a whole lot since we met the power wall, that should at least suggest the age of the CPU.

(\__/)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My brother in law use to scrap a lot of ram for scrap gold. I wouldn't know where to take an old computer to scrap it, I don't know of any places around here that take scrap electronic equipment. Here where I live you can toss anything in the trash except motor oil, engine coolant, tires, and yard waste. Most of the time I toss questionable stuff in the dumpster at work. I have a few DVD burners I bought that I wont scrap.

The only thing I found an old computer useful for is running old games. Once I wanted to play Age of Empires on my Win 7 PC with flat panel monitor and it looked kind of crappy. Is there a fix for running old games on newer systems?
    Well the graphics are usually pretty bad with old games anyway, but you can try compatibility mode or a virtualbox of an older operating system. https://www.virtualbox.org/ is the link to the free one, if you want to play modern games on a virtualbox you will probably need VMware workstation, but that's really expensive unless you get it from alternative ways.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiNkZoR View Post
    Well the graphics are usually pretty bad with old games anyway, but you can try compatibility mode or a virtualbox of an older operating system.
    I recently bought Morrowind and I was like

Modding helped, but still.

(\__/)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, they sure did look a lot better back when they first came out. I just beat half life 1 and the limited character models is really confusing. Guess they weren't lucky enough to have more than 3 characters

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiNkZoR View Post
    Yeah, they sure did look a lot better back when they first came out. I just beat half life 1 and the limited character models is really confusing. Guess they weren't lucky enough to have more than 3 characters
    I saw this awhile back:

But that's pretty much how we saw the game when it first came out.
    @stomp_442 Sorry, didn't mean to throw off your topic so much.

(\__/)