Thread:
scrapping out old computers

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

scrapping out old computers

I have a bunch of Windows XP computers. Can these things be used for anything, do they hold any value? Some of them work and some don't. At most I can remove the hard drives and ram and toss them in the trash can.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    If any of the drives are decent sized (and preferably SATA), you can make them into portable hard drives using enclosures. If you want to build any computers in the future and if they're desktops, save any SATA DVD drives. You'll save $20 buying a new one.

The RAM won't really do you any good unless you want to upgrade another computer from that era.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Founding Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Where I live you can't throw the rest in the trash. Any electronics are supposed to be recycled. Tv's, computers, vcr's, DVD player, phones etc. all get shipped off to get broken down to recover materials and dispose of anything toxic.

It might be different where you live but worth checking ��

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    My brother in law use to scrap a lot of ram for scrap gold. I wouldn't know where to take an old computer to scrap it, I don't know of any places around here that take scrap electronic equipment. Here where I live you can toss anything in the trash except motor oil, engine coolant, tires, and yard waste. Most of the time I toss questionable stuff in the dumpster at work. I have a few DVD burners I bought that I wont scrap.

The only thing I found an old computer useful for is running old games. Once I wanted to play Age of Empires on my Win 7 PC with flat panel monitor and it looked kind of crappy. Is there a fix for running old games on newer systems?
    Last edited by stomp_442; 08-13-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'll tell you, it depends. Recently I've acquired a fairly large pile of older boxes. I cobble together systems and give them away to those in need (without charge, even if I have to pay for a few things to complete them). My rule of thumb is essentially this. If it's ATX and between 2Ghz and 3Ghz, it can be recycled into something folks without may appreciate. I try to make sure it has adequate video and system memory. For example I have several 32 bit Pentium 4 systems. All have 2gb system memory. All have hard drives (ranging from the smallest @ 40gb --- a SATA, up to 250gb). All have optical drives (usually PATA). The video ranges from an ATI x800 Pro, Nvidia 6800, Nvidia 5950 (I think but pretty sure; had to get creative with the drivers to install for Win7). All have either box screens (CRT) or older flatscreens.

Most average joe users (especially the old or young just starting out, and yes the not-so-well-off), can use them as everyday drivers as the saying goes. I do this as my way to give back to a segment of the community that may otherwise fall between the cracks. I still remember being given a Pentium 166mhz system by an internet only friend from NJ. Prior to that, always had been a Commodore Amiga (from A500, to A2000, and eventually A3000T with MKIII 68060 --- til that card went kablewy).

Here's and image of my closet (bottom right-most is my personal backup; three of the cases are empty awaiting someone donating a usable motherboard):

https://goo.gl/photos/z3unQNwwA5XSRZfQ7

I've even replaced the odd capacitor in some (I cringe at the job; gimme a power supply recap any day) to get them functional/in spec.

Edit: I also have another couple out in the living room corner (not pictured) and gave away a 2.4 Ghz P4 system earlier today to a friend of a friend. All with fresh installs and all updates of Win7 (I hate the update process).
    Last edited by nightstah; 08-13-2016 at 09:56 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nightstah For This Useful Post:

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I hadn't thought about this before, but I might be able to use some of the older parts for diagnostics. People rarely bring in old computers these days, but when there is a hardware problem I don't always have replacements to test with and have to get something off eBay. If you'll send me a list of the RAM you get, I might buy it from you. I can't offer much (business isn't great atm), so feel free to look elsewhere for buyers. I'd rather you make more money off it than me buy it. Any old video card would be something I might buy too.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstah View Post
    I'll tell you, it depends. Recently I've acquired a fairly large pile of older boxes. I cobble together systems and give them away to those in need.......
    I thought about doing that. It looks like the computers you give away are better than my pc, the one in your picture, the black HP at the top of the pc mountain.

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    I thought about doing that. It looks like the computers you give away are better than my pc, the one in your picture, the black HP at the top of the pc mountain.
    That one's a case. It came complete other than narrow card reader at the top and the PCI retention bracket in the rear. The thing is, it powers on the CPU fan spins the case fan spins, the motherboard LED lights up. But no display. It was a 2.1 Ghz 64 bit AMD. I moved the CPU to another board that had a 2.0 Ghz chip in it. The power supply (anemic @ 250W) is good, the RAM and CPU were good. No caps blown (physically) on the board. They are shit caps that I'm told "dry out" and don't usually swell.

A guy on Ebay had the identical board for sale. I pointed out two visible caps were blown (he says it still posts) so got him to adjust price down to shipping only @ $10:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ASUS-M2N6...vip=true&rt=nc

Now I still have the dead board and that one should arrive tomorrow. I referenced my dead board to determine the caps that I could tell were bad and ordered these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261152903591...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So that's $15 for board and caps, another $10.50 for the card reader and retention bracket. I try to limit costs to less than $20 when I have to make one completely functional. A bunch from a friend the other week (seven) I went through. One was too old (P3) Compaq and got trashed. Another one was a ThinkPad BTX system (completely rust covered the rear only). It beeped at me when I managed to turn it on. As I don't have any BTX cases, I junked it after taking the SATA HD and optical along with the memory, CPU (3.2 Ghz) and power supply. The power supply I got creative with. I had some shiny silver tape that I covered over the rusty rear after cleaning it. Then poked the fan vent holes back out with a screwdriver tip. It looks pretty good, actually (and covers up the rust; again only the rear of the brick).

Then there was the HP you mention, and no display. The other three were operational. I also picked up a freebie at a city-wide yard sale in Bridgeport (WV). It had no display but a swollen cap. I replaced it and life came back to it. Pretty good board that one, Intel dual core @ 3.2 Ghz. I added an AMD HD3870 to it I had on hand.

You got any P4 motherboards between 2-3 Ghz or AMD similar (single core or dual core either), LMK. They'd have to work, could cover shipping only if you wish to contribute to a worthwhile pet project of mine.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Mine is an HP a6528p and still works great , it was given to me by somebody that didn't use it much so it was still kind of new when I got it. I got rid of the Vista and install Win 7 on it. I would not have bought this model myself as the pentium processor in it reminds me of the old cheap celeron processors that were out years before that during the win 98 days. I also have another pc that is an hp slimline that looks just like it and that one has the amd 64 in it, I really liked that one and think I can still fix it with a new power supply.

I don't really do much with a PC except surf the web and forums so all those computers you have would be a dream to me, I really dread the day when I got to upgrade to windows 10. Oh, that reminds me, windows keep reminding me that there is an update to install, what do you think?

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    Mine is an HP a6528p and still works great. I would not have bought this model myself as the pentium processor in it reminds me of the old cheap celeron processors that were out years before that during the win 98 days.
    If you update that board to the latest, last BIOS update offered by HP (V5.43) you could drop either as a max dual core CPU such as the E8600 (Core 2 Duo, 3.33 GHz, FSB 1333 MHz, L2 6 MB) for $17 US shipped HERE or a quad core CPU such as the Q9650 (Core 2 Quad, 3 GHz, FSB 1333 MHz, L2 12 MB) for $55 US shipped HERE.