Thread:
My PC taking a dump?

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    This is a different PC now, and I think it needs a power supply, gimme some I ideas where to get one, not ebay. It's a HP slimline power supply p/n 5188-7620, 160W max. What I found is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA6HY43T0367. I couldn't find a 160W replacement. The power supply looks like a brick, long and rectangular, due to the pc being slim. The wires come out from the mid section, not the end. An example of what I don't want is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA6UM2K10645 because the wires come out the end of the power supply. I guess I'm just wondering where you pc repair guys get your parts.
    I get almost all mine from eBay. I've never had an issue yet. I'll get it from Amazon if it's cheaper, but it almost never is. The power supply doesn't have to be 160W though. Just 160W or higher.
    The pc from the first post seems to be working fine.
    Woo!
    One more thing, how often do you guys take apart your PC and clean it?
    That really depends on how well ventilated your computer is and how often the room accumulates dust. I'd say between every 6 months and a year. I have an air compressor (I upgraded someone's computer in exchange for it) that I use to clean out computers quickly. It's a lot cheaper than buying cans of compressed air. You also might want to consider new thermal paste. It can make a big difference with overheating. This is the brand I use. I'm pretty sure @Krafter recommended it to me.

PS: I hate slimline/compact computers. They've got proprietary parts, they're harder to take apart, and the brackets for PCI cards never fit.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It's been a few years since I cleaned this pc so that explains it, along with the dust problem in my house, that makes for failure (on my part). I don't want to deal with ebay......would pay more elsewhere. My brother in law got banned from ebay, he sold a pc on there and forgot to put the hdd in it, lol, and probably other stuff too that got him banned.

Yea, I probably wouldn't have bought the slimline if I knew before hand about the compatibility with regular pc components. I bought it when HP first put them out for consumer consumption.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 09-18-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ebay is OK to buy from. Second-hand stuff can be more problematic as a seller. You'd not get banned for purchasing a power supply. I have an LG G2 on there closing in about two or three hours. My first sale in a long time was my Nexus 5. Lady bought it and sang praises via feedback. Then a dozen days later --- because she has no knowledge how to operate, let alone maintain it --- demanded her money back. Because an app caused her phone to misbehave. I told her how to wipe it and then she accused me of having a faulty phone and how else would I possibly know how to wipe a phone? Really? Never heard back from her again --- nor Pay Pal, nor Ebay. As a seller the job of technical support suddenly becomes part and parcel with selling. It shouldn't (especially since I was the original owner and included all manuals, box etc) but it is.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just stick to trusted sellers, and get new stuff.

Sent from behind you
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.