Thread:
My PC taking a dump?

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

My PC taking a dump?

The PC that I've been using for a few years may be taking a dump. For whatever reason the screen goes black and it reboots. When it reboots it locks up at the windows logo, so I have to manually turn it off by holding in the power button and reboot it and then it works fine until it crashes again. I'm to bothered to look at it right now. When I leave it in standby mode, not logged in, with the monitor off, it doesn't crash and can be accessed by other devices (amazon fire tv stick) via network. I have a feeling that the video card is the issue, so when I get a chance I'll switch over to the onboard video card to see if that's the issue. Right now I am using my laptop as a desktop so I'm good for now, but all my stuff is on my other computer, so sooner or later I need to get back to that because the windows 10 on this laptop sucks.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Lol at the title, but it sounds like a bad power supply to me. If you have another computer, try swapping out the power supply for a few days and see if it reboots.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoostinOnline View Post
    Lol at the title, but it sounds like a bad power supply to me. If you have another computer, try swapping out the power supply for a few days and see if it reboots.
    I might have one that will work, I'll have to compare them.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp_442 View Post
    I might have one that will work, I'll have to compare them.
    If you can find one that's 400 watts or higher, it will probably be fine.

(\__/)

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not necessarily power supply, but certainly is a possibility (damn crap capacitors). Just as easily a Windows system that over time has gotten corrupted. Ultimately and realistically, Windows inherently self-destructs. It may be a few years or a few months. A lot depends on the user and what they do or don't do with the system. Windows is always beta and we're always the beta testers. If a swap in power supply does not improve things, best backup any data you can't live without and either do a fresh install or a fresh restore.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nightstah For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'll give a post back when I find out. I got something to do right now, but maybe in a bit while I'm watching tv I can take it apart and clean it, it's due for that. Just to get a look inside of it too. Fear the Walking Dead is on in an hour. :^)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    afaik graphics cards usually don't just fail and shut down, most of the time they artifact . From what I've read power supplies typically degrade by 5-10% of their maximum wattage a year, so that could be why it happens when the screen is on as the graphics card is drawing more power

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but to verify what nightstah said, create a bootable Ubuntu drive with Rufus, leave it on for awhile (longer than it normally takes for your computer to crash), and see if it stays up. If it doesn't crash, it's almost certainly Windows.

(\__/)

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well, I got around to looking at my PC. I removed the fan from the heatsink and there was so much crap on it that there was no air flow to cool the heatsink. I cleaned that and removed the video card. Now I just wait to see what happens. I didn't do anything with the power supply yet.

Now that I think about it, I may have already had the power supply fail in this PC. I'm pretty sure a few years ago I swapped one in from another computer. Maybe I'll look at my other broken PC too while I'm in the mood.
    Last edited by stomp_442; 09-17-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is a different PC now, and I think it needs a power supply, gimme some I ideas where to get one, not ebay. It's a HP slimline power supply p/n 5188-7620, 160W max. What I found is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA6HY43T0367. I couldn't find a 160W replacement. The power supply looks like a brick, long and rectangular, due to the pc being slim. The wires come out from the mid section, not the end. An example of what I don't want is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA6UM2K10645 because the wires come out the end of the power supply. I guess I'm just wondering where you pc repair guys get your parts.

The pc from the first post seems to be working fine.

One more thing, how often do you guys take apart your PC and clean it?
    Last edited by stomp_442; 09-18-2016 at 08:01 AM.