Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread:
vWii, Sneek and Widescreen hacks

New User
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

vWii, Sneek and Widescreen hacks

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work people here have put in to allow me to play all my old games on one device (for the most part).

I've been trying for a few days now to get this working and I'm pretty much done with a few minor exceptions.

I managed to get homebrew working on my vWii and all my backups are loaded onto a USB drive and everything. I use USBLoader_GX to load my games but it refuses to load Majora's Mask VC. I learned you need sneek to run it, so I found the thread here explaining how to compile Sneek for the vWii. Got that done and finally got the emulated system menu to load last night. I managed to install the wad there and can play the game fine as it was intended. My only issue is I'd been using the 16:9 video option in USBLoader_GX to play old n64 games in widescreen.

I thought I could just launch USBLoader with Homebrew Filter and run it that way from the Sneek system menu. Unfortunately I can't get Homebrew Filter to recognize any apps I have in usb:/apps. Is there a way to get this working where I can play MM with widescreen mode? Or is there a way to compile neek2o for vWii so I can directly launch the games from USBLoader_GX instead of booting into the Sneek system menu? I'm willing to try anything so if there is a better way to launch the game with Widescreen mode I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for nay help provided.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    First of all, I'd like to welcome you to the Den!

Last I heard, widescreen hacks didn't play well with a lot of games. Remember, widescreen wasn't commonplace back when the N64 came out. The Wii doesn't even have proper widescreen support (it sends a compressed image to the TV, then expects the TV to stretch it back out). I wouldn't be surprised if it's just not compatible. If you know how to add gecko codes, you could try enabling this one and seeing if it works.

It's strange that Homebrew Filter isn't recognizing apps. Do you have apps in the "USB:\apps\anyfolder\boot.dol" setup? Is it set to look on your USB drive?
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

New User
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the welcome.

What I'm talking about is in USBLoader_GX. In the per game options there is an option to change the aspect ratio. It works well for Mario64 and Ocarina of Time. I can't launch MM with USBLoader though because it requires sneek. Let's ignore that it might not look right for the moment. Is there a way to launch MM from USBLoader without having to boot into the Sneek system menu? I can't find any info on Neek2o for vWii and USBLoader needs it to autoinit the game, it just boots into the Sneek system menu if you try and launch the game from it.

Thanks for replying, and sorry if I'm not making sense.
    Last edited by 1ird; 03-31-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ird View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

What I'm talking about is in USBLoader_GX. In the per game options there is an option to change the aspect ratio. It works well for Mario64 and Ocarina of Time. I can't launch MM with USBLoader though because it requires sneek. Let's ignore that it might not look right for the moment. Is there a way to launch MM from USBLoader without having to boot into the Sneek system menu? I can't find any info on Neek2o for vWii and USBLoader needs it to autoinit the game, it just boots into the Sneek system menu if you try and launch the game from it.

Thanks for replying, and sorry if I'm not making sense.
    As far as I know, there isn't.

While the Wii homebrew scene was pretty big, by the time the Wii U came out, most of us had moved on to other things. I kept coding for awhile, but I was never really a big developer. Because of that, a lot of stuff wasn't updated to have compatibility with the Wii U. That includes neek2o.

You could try Nintendont and the Gamecube version (Zelda Collector's Disc) of Majora's Mask.

(\__/)

New User
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks I didn't know there was a Gamecube version. I'll look into that. It's been so long since I've put a Gamecube game on my Wii HDD that I'll have to look it up again. The only one I ever had was Mario Sunshine. Thanks for your help friend.
    Last edited by 1ird; 04-01-2017 at 01:18 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1ird For This Useful Post:

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ird View Post
    Thanks I didn't know there was a Gamecube version. I'll look into that. It's been so long since I've put a Gamecube game on my Wii HDD that I'll have to look it up again. The only one I ever had was Mario Sunshine. Thanks for your help friend.
    It came with Wind Waker. I lost my copy and bought another one. It had several of the Zelda games on it.

(\__/)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Newby Needing Some Help Please

@1ird @JoostinOnline

I'm a Newby with a basic knowledge of hacking the WiiU/vWii. I'm VERY interested in the instructions for creating/using EMUNAND (if necessary) and for compiling SNEEK and making it (them) work for all of my WiiWare and Virtual Console games. I read through a thread dated at least a year back if not more which outlined how to compile SNEEK (I didn't understand all of it though) and by the end of the thread it as stated that the end product wouldn't work on updated WiiU/vWiis, yet here is this post and it seems to work (YES!).

Can you help me get started with how to compile and then install working SNEEK to my vWii? I'll read, try things, and hopefully ask intelligent questions, but I do lack in some knowledge, as you'll find out for sure.

Thank you in advance for helping me out as I, too, am almost there with a single unit that will play all of my WiiU, Wii, WW, VC, and emulated games. My next job is to do the same with my Play Station 2, but that is a different topic for a different day...MOST humbly & sincerely...Tom

Oh Yes, My System:

WiiU 64G running 5.5.2 with ext HDD for WiiU games (Haxchi, IOSUHax, HBC, System Config Utility) (all working flawlessly)
    vWii with ext HDD for WiiU, GameCube games (HBC, USB Loader GX) (all working flawlessly - although I can't seem to refresh my games so that they are all alphabetically listed)
    a bunch of WiiWare and Virtual Consoles I can't use at all.

I did try to simply dump NAND to EMUNAND and use the WAD MANAGER, but the WW and VC games simply booted back to the HBC.

Thank you again!
    Last edited by TomandJonna; 11-05-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    @TomandJonna Compiling it works fine. However, the system patches don't work on the latest System Menu. It's not a big deal, it just means you can't do things like disable the background music and such. Have you read this?
    http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.p...rsion-of-SNEEK

Sent from Behind You
    Last edited by JoostinOnline; 11-05-2017 at 12:47 AM.

(\__/)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    @JoostinOnline

Thank you for your response. This is indeed the thread I read that led me to believe it won't work in the end, but I'm not worried about changing background music or anything like that. I will read through the process for compiling again and see if I have any questions as I do remember not understanding it all. I'll go as far as I can and then ask what to do next. I'll try not to waste your time to be sure.

I made it through the compile process without any errors, by God's grace, extracted SD.zip to SD://, then copied and renamed kernel_SD.bin. I then stuck the SD card into my WiiU and booted SNEEK via HBC. I gave me two messages: a) I-512 loaded from NAND, and b) Waiting for ARM to reset PPC. It has been there now for some time. Should it take so long to load up? I also noticed that SNEEK was visible to HBC from root location as opposed to from within APPS folder. How is that possible? Thought it had to be in that folder for HBC to see it. SD:// also now has Shared1 and Shared2 folders...what are they for, or should they not be there??

First stupid question...concerning the hacks, what is the difference between the first and second ones (region free wii game vs region free everything), and then concerning last, moving channels from where to where, and how does that get accomplished? I'll put true for these three if it won't hurt anything, but I'd like to understand them if you have the time.

Second and final stupid question for this post...once launched, I have no idea where to begin setting up things on the USB HDD for use in SNEEK. I've only ever used the HBC and SD card without SNEEK so any pointers to threads or things like that would help me out greatly. My end goal is to be able to play all of my WiiWare and Virtual Console games in SNEEK, but haven't a clue as to where to begin or how to do this. Having SNEEK is GREAT, but how to use such a gift would be greater yet. It would also help if it would boot up on the vWii as it should, but maybe my lack of setting things up is what is stopping it??? HELP!

My config right now:
    SD Card in slot; WiiU HDD in Slot (recognized when I booted up the WiiU); vWii HDD in Slot (recognized when I booted up the vWii - tested it with USB Loader GX).

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area, but I don't want to make a mistake and I want to follow your guide correctly to the letter...AND I want things to work, not break.

Thanks again SO very much for your valuable time...MOST humbly & sincerely...Tom

PS...just noticed in your credits that you gave God spot #1...so do I. :0)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) Thought I'd help Bunny do the "Pinky and the Brain" thing and take over the world.
    (")_(")
    Last edited by TomandJonna; 11-05-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomandJonna View Post
    @JoostinOnline

Thank you for your response. This is indeed the thread I read that led me to believe it won't work in the end, but I'm not worried about changing background music or anything like that. I will read through the process for compiling again and see if I have any questions as I do remember not understanding it all. I'll go as far as I can and then ask what to do next. I'll try not to waste your time to be sure.

I made it through the compile process without any errors, by God's grace, extracted SD.zip to SD://, then copied and renamed kernel_SD.bin. I then stuck the SD card into my WiiU and booted SNEEK via HBC. I gave me two messages: a) I-512 loaded from NAND, and b) Waiting for ARM to reset PPC. It has been there now for some time. Should it take so long to load up? I also noticed that SNEEK was visible to HBC from root location as opposed to from within APPS folder. How is that possible? Thought it had to be in that folder for HBC to see it. SD:// also now has Shared1 and Shared2 folders...what are they for, or should they not be there??

First stupid question...concerning the hacks, what is the difference between the first and second ones (region free wii game vs region free everything), and then concerning last, moving channels from where to where, and how does that get accomplished? I'll put true for these three if it won't hurt anything, but I'd like to understand them if you have the time.

Second and final stupid question for this post...once launched, I have no idea where to begin setting up things on the USB HDD for use in SNEEK. I've only ever used the HBC and SD card without SNEEK so any pointers to threads or things like that would help me out greatly. My end goal is to be able to play all of my WiiWare and Virtual Console games in SNEEK, but haven't a clue as to where to begin or how to do this. Having SNEEK is GREAT, but how to use such a gift would be greater yet. It would also help if it would boot up on the vWii as it should, but maybe my lack of setting things up is what is stopping it??? HELP!

My config right now:
    SD Card in slot; WiiU HDD in Slot (recognized when I booted up the WiiU); vWii HDD in Slot (recognized when I booted up the vWii - tested it with USB Loader GX).

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area, but I don't want to make a mistake and I want to follow your guide correctly to the letter...AND I want things to work, not break.

Thanks again SO very much for your valuable time...MOST humbly & sincerely...Tom

PS...just noticed in your credits that you gave God spot #1...so do I. :0)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) Thought I'd help Bunny do the "Pinky and the Brain" thing and take over the world.
    (")_(")
    Unplug your Wii U and try again. If it still doesn't work, use this file.

Check your Apps folder, there should be a SNEEK folder inside of it. That was part of SD.zip.

(\__/)