Thread:
It's been over four years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's been over four years

Hey guys. I don't know if any of you remember me. I joined over 4 years ago, back in 2013. Back when I was only 13. I wasn't ever really that active on here but I did join a discussion every once in a while. I've been interested in computers and tech ever since I was a child. Around the age of 10 is when I found myself in terribly impoverished parts of Mexico, thought I wasn't born there. On the bright side there were internet cafes basically around every corner. It was one of those places where the have PCs next to each other lined up on walls and you paid by the other. My mom paid for me to go basically everyday, and I essentially secluded myself in there, safe from the clutches of the gang violence and poverty that lurked around the entire area. At some point, simply browsing Youtube and watching memes (rick roll and such) became boring. So I started to think about other things I could do with PCs. That lead me to discover emulators. So I would mess around all day with emulators and roms, I particularly had an interest in Legend of Zelda: OOT and those cheat codes that came with Project 64. I believe it was there that I began my love of tinkering with tech. Ever since then I was always looking for a new way to mess with computers. Making phones, PCs, consoles, calculators, etc., do things that they were not intended to do by their manufacturer quickly became a hobby of mine, and is now a fundamental part of my personality.

That's how I found this place, from about age 11 I started looking into console modding, which led specifically to Wii modding. Which led me here. My first real post being about trouble I was having with GC loaders.

Back then I was just a script kiddie with hunger for knowledge. I sit here now, as a beginner developer. I started sometime in 2014 with high school Comp Sci 1, and going into AP Comp Sci my senior year (so right after the summer.) The reason I'm posting here now is because this summer I've been working on a project, an online card game using HTML, JS, and PHP. It's played in Chrome (and yes, specifically Chrome. It's not a Chrome app, it's just that I haven't really been looking into cross-browser support since there are some things that other browser don't support which are essential to this game) and uses P2P code for multiplayer. I was having some trouble with the GUI I made, when I finally came up with a work around that uses iframes. (Yeah yeah, they're not ideal but it's not 2008 anymore so it's not that big of a deal.) I got the idea from thinking about how game aggregator sites embed games, they use iframes. So I started thinking about iframes, and thought about whether or not people can stick iframes into forum posts. That got me thinking about Hacksden. So I came here to see if the site was dead or not. Pleasantly it looks like there is still a community here.

I can't show you guys the game. Not because of shyness or whatnot. See, here's the thing. The game is based on my school, with the teachers as the characters. It's not a violent or offensive game, but we all know how school administrations are. I'm planning to finish it, play it with my friends, and that's about it. Though, I'm thinking I might remove all mention of my school/the teachers from the game and release it publicly then. As it stands now, however, it's simply a joke project so that I can get some more experience with coding, and my buddies and I can have a good time.

So, what's everyone else been up to while I was gone?
    There is no knowledge
    That is not power

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ZalexDuhBeast For This Useful Post:

Jax

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    How's it going, haven't seen you in a while. Haven't seen a lot of members in a while, although a few of the regulars post here once in a while. Good luck with what ever you're working on, maybe we'll get a look at it some day.

How are things in Mexico, is it as bad as what I hear in the American news?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, forget to mention that I came back to the states in 2010. When I was there things were pretty bad, and from my understanding things have gotten even worse since then.
    There is no knowledge
    That is not power

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Welcome back and safe and sound. There were a couple youthful members here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey! Glad to get more then just one reply

I was looking at some of my old posts and it does seem like a lifetime ago when people were having frequent back and forths on here. What other forums do you guys frequent?
    There is no knowledge
    That is not power

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZalexDuhBeast View Post
    Hey! Glad to get more then just one reply

I was looking at some of my old posts and it does seem like a lifetime ago when people were having frequent back and forths on here. What other forums do you guys frequent?
    I look at gbatemp once in a while and a few playstation sites.