Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread:
Universal Media Server v7.0.1 is Released

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Its a Lenovo Thinkserver. No support for second cpu unfortunately.

Just trying to get 4k support without having to spend $500 or more on a graphics card that has to be hardwired to the TV... I have an AC1900 router so the bandwidth isn't an issue. There's a bottleneck somewhere in the software. Plex couldn't do it, Bubble worked mostly. Netflix streams perfectly in 4k so there has to be something specific in the encoding of the 4k stream that can be transcoded in real time or fixed using something like Handbrake. Wish someone knew or could say what that "formula" is. Tomorrow I'll try out UMS and see what happens.

Supreme Overlord
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjizzle View Post
    Its a Lenovo Thinkserver. No support for second cpu unfortunately.

Just trying to get 4k support without having to spend $500 or more on a graphics card that has to be hardwired to the TV... I have an AC1900 router so the bandwidth isn't an issue. There's a bottleneck somewhere in the software. Plex couldn't do it, Bubble worked mostly. Netflix streams perfectly in 4k so there has to be something specific in the encoding of the 4k stream that can be transcoded in real time or fixed using something like Handbrake. Wish someone knew or could say what that "formula" is. Tomorrow I'll try out UMS and see what happens.
    I'm positive that encoding it with Handbrake will mean no transcoding. I just don't know the proper settings. Some of the videos I have don't need to be transcoded (CPU usage stays at idle), but for most of them, all four cores are running at 100%. I bet with some searching you can find what Chromecast runs natively. I have a Fire TV Stick, so even if I tracked down the videos and looked at the encoding, I couldn't tell you what a Chromecast uses.

Sent from Behind You
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My understanding was that the Chromecast Ultra supported x265. I should have specified earlier, Plex always transcodes x265 4k to 1080p (the 100% cpu prob), x265 1080p direct streams. Bubble direct streams x265 4k but with random pauses/glitches. Did some searching a few months ago on the chromecast and couldnt find much. You are right though, it is worth revisiting.

Founding Member
    Retired Staff/Mod
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    @CJ:

x265 requires multi-core support. This is why a lot of traditional media players don't support them - they lack the horsepower. I have no idea with Chromecast Ultra. Speaking of 4K, it doesn't even have to be 4K. I found a choking point on 1080P due to shear file size/bit rate that choked Plex out. Yes, I still have to move the box to the ethernet before you ask. But encodes of BSG complex 1080P series @ 5GB per episode, it can't keep up. I'm not sure if the wifi (likely) or if it's attempting to transcode.

@Joostin: handbrake isn't an encoder, it's a transcoder. It probably reduces the bitrate and complexity of the previous encode and lowers it (at the sacrifice of quality, at least to videophiles) to a more palatable or manageable level.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nightstah For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    News Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoostinOnline View Post
    I wonder how it holds up against Plex.
    Check this out http://www.universalmediaserver.com/comparison/

Quote Originally Posted by nightstah View Post
    Plex does not require an account to download. Even using plex itself, you can use facebook, google, or other things to use it. To simply download it, not necessary.

https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media...-29f6d1796.exe
    I went and looked and I guess you can download it with no account. I tried it once a long time ago and thought I had to log in to Plex to use it, can't really remember now. So I never bothered with it again. I'm happy with Kodi, and it don't take much setup to get Kodi to see Universal Media Server that I installed on my laptop. Very simple.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stomp_442 For This Useful Post: